2nd Checked bag = $25

Started by Tobina+1, May 12, 2008, 01:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I have not ridden on an airplane since I retired six years ago.

I thought, though, that one of the reasons one was supposed to leave their checked bags unlocked was so that these folks could go through your baggage without breaking into it.

In Teresa's case, maybe they thought it was Haley's?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

That's true W.  I have to leave my big hard side suitcase unlocked and I put a big safety strap around it.  My soft side roll on has TSA locks on all the zippers.  I keep all my makeup in my roll on. Teresa, can you put some Comet in a small ziplock bag in your purse or carry on?  If they open it you can tell them what it is. I'm sorry you had such a hard time.

Teresa

My bags were not locked by a key. The sides were only snapped and not locked. But the front of the suitcase was locked with a combination in the front of the lock set. I was not ask if I had a key or if anything was locked or I would have turned the dial to my number so that they had access.

They literally BROKE my suitcase to get it open.
I have had them open up our bags while we were there. I have seen them do it lots of times to others also. No big deal. I always ask nicely if they will please look carefully as I have everything packed just so, and I would  appreciate the gentle handling of my things.
Generally the ladies that help, understand...and honor that request. But this time it was like they took great pride in just tearing the hell out of my stuff.

And YES.. I am going to register a complaint.. in person.. and by mail and my e-mail and by phone.

Will it do any good? No.. but it will make me feel better. Maybe.............. :-\

At least the shower and tub are clean in this hotel.. I still won't set in the tub.. but I will stand in it to take a shower.
( I know.. I am weird..) but we all have to be weird about something. hahaha ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Tobina+1

I think any bag with a non-TSA lock WILL be searched; doesn't matter if you give them the key, leave the key in it, or turn the dial so they can get in.  I think the only locks that can be on suitcases are TSA-approved.  I'm surprised they did so much damage to the suitcase, but maybe they couldn't figure out how to get it open (IQ of these people they get may be low)? 
Good luck with the claim.  Not saying you'll have bad luck, but I hope you get reimbursed!

Diane Amberg

Pre 911 you could have filed an insurance claim, to the airline. Not sure how it works now, since the damage happened in the terminal.

Tobina+1

I think you can still file a claim... either with the airline or with the TSA.  But, unfortunately, since it was a locked bag, they may try and tell you that it was your fault for not having it unlocked or having a TSA-approved lock.  BUT... I would still fight tooth and nail about the damage done to the suitcase and the contents.  If they could cut the lock off and still open the bag without doing damage, I think you still have a leg to stand on.  Go in knowing that you did not use an approved lock, but tell them that they still could have cut off the lock and got the suitcase open without damaging it and the contents.

MarineMom

When I flew out of Wichita 3 weeks ago there was a sign at the beginning of the check in line and several more around the airport saying that non tsa locks would be broken if your luggage was picked to be searched so I removed all the locks from my bags before I checked them, the same sign was posted in Chicago and Heathrow. The TSA website had a long list of things that you are not allowed to take on the plane maybe comet was on the list

Teresa

I finally got to talk to a "real person" with TSA with common sense who told me he was so sorry that my suitcase was broken. And that I could complain until the ends of the earth and they would do NOTHING about it. He was rather disgusted also when he told me this. He said that they get hundreds of valid complaints and nothing is done. He said it was awful how peoples things are treated in the airports.

I told him about the can of Comet and he smiled and said....with a ~ wait til you hear this..you can't believe this ~ look......"

He said, the reason they probably took the comet was because it is a corrosive... and ...get this...............
****It has the potential to corrode through the bottom of the plane. ****

Can you BELIEVE THAT??    ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::)

I just looked at him and said.. You have got to be kidding me! Is ANYONE ANYWHERE stupid enough to swallow that crap?

he laughed and said.. You wouldn't think so would you... but I'm afraid that there are people walking among us that DO think you will believe it.

He apologized again.. and I said I wouldn't waste my time filing a complaint.

***Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I am so weary and tired of all the dysfunctional ways of the world. :(
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Tobina+1

FILE, FILE, FILE!  Even if nothing comes of it, at least you've spoken your outrage!  I'm not normally a complainer, but that incident is DUE CAUSE for raising hell!

Dee Gee

American prepares for first-bag fee

Last Modified: 6/6/2008  3:23 AM

DALLAS — American Airlines says its new $15 fee for a first checked bag will affect fewer than one in four customers this summer and won't lengthen lines at boarding gates.

The carrier said Thursday that it's taking steps, from curbside check-in to the aircraft cabins, to avoid disruptions from the new policy.

American last month was the first major airline to announce it would charge customers to check a single piece of luggage. The fee takes effect on tickets bought on or after June 15. American said three-quarters of summer travelers had already bought their tickets and wouldn't pay the fee.

The airline defended the fee, saying it was a bargain compared with the cost of shipping a 45-pound bag overnight on a package-delivery company. It said the cost of sending a bag from Dallas to New York would range from $150 to $230 or more.

Members of the elite levels of American's frequent flyer program won't have to pay the fee, and neither will those who bought first-class, business-class or full-fare coach tickets or are traveling overseas.  :-[

Taken from the Tulsa World
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk