Pima Cotton

Started by W. Gray, May 12, 2008, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Was there any talk of Ira Hayes while you were there?

In 1932, Bapchule consisted of a store, a school, and a church.

Did it get any bigger?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

I was just a kid; not interested in ancient history like that! Had I known what I know now, I would have looked his family up. Perhaps I did in fact meet them, who's to say? I did have some impressions that have never left me though; such as how neat and clean the homes were even though most had earthen floors. They sprinkled them with water, it not only kept the dust down but also made it cool. Nearly everyone had a water cooler for comfort in at least one room. I also remember a funeral we attended; that had to be the loneliest  almost unnatural cemetary I have ever been in. I shudder in my skin when I think of it; not a green thing in sight, and decoration with pebbles and stones only. The brush arbors were also a change for me; they had me terrified with tales of gila monsters and snakes getting up into them and falling out onto the people below. I suspect now it was probably a joke, but everyone was terrified of gila monsters. I loved the road runners, they were so much fun to watch. They would jump out in front of your car and run like crazy! Suspect it was a competition or nest protection display.
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk