Pima Cotton

Started by W. Gray, May 12, 2008, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I have always heard the term "Pima Cotton" without knowing what it meant--other than being aware it was supposed to be a good grade of cotton.

I have just finished reading a book about Ira Hayes, the Pima Indian who was one of six Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima.

It turns out that Pima Cotton was developed on the Pima Reservation in Arizona and named after that tribe.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

Good factoid.

Keep 'em coming.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Diane Amberg

Well now, I could have told you about that. ;D There is a big cotton growing region between Phoenix and Tuscon. The cotton blows all over and gets stuck in the fences and you can see huge bales in the fields awaiting pick up during harvest season. The Pima cotton   has a very long fiber that is strong and smooth....makes very nice socks, the kind I love. Thanks W. :-*

Rudy Taylor

Dang it, Diane.  I get tired of you upstaging me.  You've traveled so many places and know so many things.

I've spent most of my years out here on the plains, and I'm just that --- plain.

You're so fancy!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Diane Amberg

Sorry, not fancy at all. And I didn't meant to up stage anyone. But I have family and friends in AZ, so we've gotten to know a bit about the state.
      By the way, we may yet get to come out and see the "home of my blood lines in June." We're trying to figure it all out. More to follow! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   

sixdogsmom

When I was a young teen, I spent a summer on the Gila River Indian reservation at Bapchule Az. My uncle was a missionary there, and they grew crops on irrigated land from the Gila river. It was a whole different sort of life, getting used to strict water useage. We carried our water in barrels on a pickup truck from a public well. We did laundry outdoors once a month, and of course you always had to inspect the outhouse for scorpions before visiting. Quite an experience for me; I enjoyed it.
Edie

Diane Amberg

It sure is different out there.  But really beautiful in it's own special way.  You're right, water is a very precious commodity, hard to come by, not to be wasted, but always to be shared. Did you ever use black light to help find the scorpions? Most of them glow.

W. Gray

Sixdogsmom

Ira Hayes was from Bapchule, Arizona, so it must have been the Pima Reservation you were on?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

This is really getting interesting. :)

sixdogsmom

Yes, it was the Pima reservation. Uncle Rollie was a missionary there for many years. The countryside is beautiful, and the people were the greatest. I had a room mate who was from the reservation, and close to my age. We had a lot of fun together, and she taught me a lot about their culture. Of course we got into our share of 'dutch' also, as we spent a lot of time home alone. That was a great summer!
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk