RAY, Elmer John "Bob" - b. December 4, 1918 - d. May 10, 2008

Started by frawin, May 12, 2008, 04:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.J. "Bob" Ray   
MARION - Ray, E.J. "Bob," 89, retired farmer & stockman, formerly of Piedmont, passed away May 10,2008. Bob was born December 14, 1918, in Severy, KS, to John and Vergie (Day) Ray. On August 7, 1944, he married Gertrude Powers in Sedan, KS. Bob is preceded in death by his parents; siblings, Ralph, Leonard, Gerald and Forrest Ray, June Coon; and step son, Dave Jackson. He is survived by his wife, Gertrude; daughters, Vicki Jackson and Cheryl Ray, both of Marion; 3 grandchildren; 4 great-grandchildren. Service 10 a.m. Wednesday, Valley United Methodist Church, Marion, KS, with interment to follow at 2 p.m., Piedmont Cemetery, Piedmont, KS. Memorials suggested to Valley United Methodist Church or Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice, c/o Zeiner Funeral Home, PO Box 6, Marion, KS, 66861.
Published in the Wichita Eagle on 5/12/2008. 
Guest Book • Flowers • Gift Shop 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flo

Thanks for posting this.  I will right now go call Aunt Vola to let her know.  His mother was a sister to my great-grandmother.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

frawin

For several years, they lived a mile north of where I grew up.  I knew several in his family as well as Gertrude's family.  Their girls are younger than I.  Well, isn't everyone younger than me these days?
Myrna

flo

hated to see them leave the area - they were fun people
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

patyrn

Elmer John "Bob" Ray, 89, of Marion, Kansas and formerly of Piedmont, Kansas, passed away at his home on May 10, 2008.  He was born on December 4, 1918 in Severy, Kansas to John and Vergie Day Ray.  Bob was the youngest of five brothers and one sister.  They all preceded him in death.

On August 7, 1944, he married Gertrude Powers at Sedan, Kansas.  They enjoyed 63 years of marriage.  She survives.  To their union they were blessed with two daughters, Vicki Sue Jackson and Cheryl Jean Ray, both of Marion, Kansas.  He is also survived by his grandchildren, Jeff Jackson of Atlanta, Georgia and Robb Hartley and Vicki Kay Williams of Marion, Kansas and four great-grandchildren, Blake, Seth, Falon, and Quade, all of Marion, Kansas.

Bob was a farmer and stockman in Piedmont, Kansas for 36 years.  Upon retirement in 1986, he and Gertrude relocated to Marion to be closer to their children.  He was a veteran of World War II, serving in Okinawa, Japan.  He received the rank of Army Sergeant and was honorably discharged in December of 1945.

While living in Marion, Bob and Gertrude were members of Valley United Methodist Church.  Bob enjoed his family and friends.  He will be missed by all.

Funeral services were held on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. at the Valley United Methodist Chuirch in Marion, Kansas.  Burial took place at 2:00 p.m. at the Piedmont Cemetery with Pastor Phil Smith officiating.

Memorials have been establised with Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice or Valley United Methodist Church.  Memorial gifts may be sent in care of Zeiner Funeral Home, P.O. Box 6, Marion, Kansas 66861.

(taken from the Flint Hills Express, May 14, 2008)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk