SMOKING BAN, what do you think?

Started by flo, May 06, 2008, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Taylor

I have found the smoking ban in Oklahoma's restaurants, businesses and public buildings to be one of the best improvements made in the past 25 years.

We enjoy the smoke-free environments in all surrounding states: Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

Ah, outdoor seating in Kansas year round.  There is something to dream about.

Diane Amberg

I guess I'm not nearly as mad at "them" as some of you are.  We are no smoking here and after the boiling over settled down, it's been good.  Respiratory illnesses are down, kids can breathe clean air anywhere (my main concern) and yes, there are dumb, inconsiderate people who do have to have someone else think for them.  As far as regulations go, I'm glad a health inspector can report a dirty commercial kitchen, someone watches for water pollution and someone from "THEM" can go into a private home to stop a pedophile from doing terrible things, stop child and animal abuse anywhere, and do things for the public good. If my neighbor is cooking meth in the privacy of his own home, do I want THEM to stop it?  Sure, if it blows up and takes my house with it, it's not my business?  HA!  As a side note, we have very few office fires any more as people go outside to smoke. But now that spring is here, we've seen a big increase in mulch and dumpster fires.

Dale Smith

Coming from a smoking family, I have been around smoke my entire life, yet have never smoked myself.  I will say that I do think the government (city, county, state, federal) has a right to protect the citizens by imposing a no-smoking ban in public buildings.  Here in Georgia, they have even taken it a step-further.  In the county that I work in (Dekalb County) you can not smoke in public, period.  Doesn't matter if you are outdoors... the only place you can smoke is in the privacy of your own home.  I know that in the 18 years I have worked at Emory University, the smokers would go outside to smoke, however, I had to walk through their stinkin' haze to get into the building.  I'm glad that the county has banned smoking in public.   That's my 2 cents.

KandyKane

I, too, was going to pass on this one, but I just can't keep my mouth shut.  Cigarette smokers are costing this government millions/billions of dollars in taxpayers money.  Who do these folks think pays for all these MAJOR medical expenses?  I'm sure the insurance companies aren't paying all of it, and what about the folks that can't afford insurance, that have cancer, or other MAJOR health issues, so the bills are coming back home to roost to the American taxpayer, so in that case the American people should have a say in where their money is being spent (but they don't).  And here's a question, based on the same principle.  If people don't think the government should tell a private business what they should/shouldn't do regarding cigarette smoking, how are the handicapped laws any different?  Hasn't the government passed laws requiring handicapped facilites in businesses?

In a personal comment, private businesses are in business for making money.  What business is going to drive people away (that's costing them $$$$), by allowing smoking?  I believe there are more non-smokers now than smokers.  The bottom line is MONEY!!

frawin

Diane, those are very good points that you made.  I don't like to be rude, but I do not like to go into places that people smoke. When we lived in West Texas, some of the towns passed ordinances that restaurants could either be smoking or not smoking. or if they chose to have both, they had to have separate areas with separate air systems.  Most chose to go non-smoking.  One restaurant we went to often was afraid to go non-smoking as she thought it would hurt her business.  No so, if anything, it improved it!  
Aside from the lost time due to illness,I also want to point out the time lost from employees getting one or two smoke breaks each morning and each afternoon.  The would congregate for 10-15 minutes---soon it became 20, 25, 30 and non-smokers sometimes would feel they were missing out what their friends were saying as it was also a gossip time.  It got so bad, that the company had to put out a memo reminding them that it was whatever time (minutes) they were allowed to go out for a smoke break and not for non-smokers.  Those of us who didn't smoke could go to the break room and get a coke or a cup of coffee whenever we wanted to but were expected to go back to our desk and get back to work.    On top of that, they chose to smoke in a corner by an outside door out of the wind and weather and the rest of us had to walk through it going and coming.  

There are several towns in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that have smoking bans in all areas, but private homes and private cars.

My Dad smoked and I didn't use to think anything about it, but I can't be around it now with a heart condition, and since Frank has quit, I don't have bronchitis very often anymore.  I used to have it several times each winter.  

We have friends who smoke, but they go outside to smoke and we have containers for the "butts" to be put in.  Don't want the "butts" lying around.  I am still picking up butts from the workers who built this house left lying around in the yard.
Well, that's my 2 cents worth!
Myrna  

momof 2boys

I believe it is up to the business owner.  It is amazing how some of the responses here about how the government has the right to step in and protect our health are coming from some of the same people that don't want the government telling them how to live their lives. 

I am not a smoker, nor do I like being around smoke.  But if I want to own a gun, that's my right; if I want to attend church and pray before my meal in public, that is my right; if I want to have a drink of wine with dinner, that is my right.  I don't want the government telling me I can't do and that it is for my own good.  I believe business owners feel the same way, it should be their right what they allow in their business. 

Now I know that smoking related illnesses have cost us millions of dollars.  And, I do believe their should be taxes on cigarettes to offset these costs.  I don't really care how much the taxes are, because I don't smoke.  My choice!  My husband does however, and he is willing to pay those taxes.  But I do believe if they were raised, he would find a way to quit. 

Oh yeah,  I have reserved the right in my own household to not allow anyone to smoke.  So more than likely, if you drive by my house, you'll see the mister on the porch puffing away. 

What is the government going to do next, ban steak being served at restaraunts because of high cholestorol?  LOL

flo

I knew I was opening a can of worms, but OMG  :o didn't know the can was gonna be that big !! I have to add this - most of you know that I am a smoker, have been since age 14.  Marvin (not to be confused with lazybear  ;)) quit smoking a few years after we started dating.  We do some traveling and most of the restaurants are non-smoking, doesn't bother me, most of the motel rooms we get are non-smoking, doesn't bother me, I don't smoke in his vehicle or in mine if he is driving it, doesn't bother me.  If I am in someone's home that doesn't smoke, I don't either, doesn't bother me.  If I have little ones in my own home, I don't smoke, doesn't bother me.  WHAT DOES BOTHER ME is that if I decide to open a hamburger joint goverment has the right to tell me to keep it clean, to keep food at a certain temperature, to tell me how much I have to pay employees, but they DO NOT have the right to tell me I can't allow smoking.  Non-smokers can go to Toot's or Poplar, if they choose.  I"m sorry, I know smoking is bad for your health, BUT SO IS AIR POLLUTION BROUGHT ON BY INDUSTRY, VEHICLES AND ILL-RUN LANDFILLS, AMONG OTHER THINGS. NUFF SAID, NOW I'LL GET OFF MY SOAP BOX.  HAVE A GOOD DAY.  (think I'll go have a cigarette now  ::) ;D)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

But aren't "They" working to reduce air pollution, vehicle emissions, (remember leaded gas and the days before catalytic converters?) factory emissions and such.. I don't know about bad landfills except for runoff. Here fertilizer runoff is a problem into Chesapeake Bay. I don't know that any of these things would have happened if ''They'' didn't demand it, as encouraged by the general population, especially in heavily populated areas. There are simply more people now, so every problem is magnified. Now go enjoy your cigarette,...far away from me!  ;) ;D

frawin

The Government regulates feed lots, packing houses, etc.  Here in Ok. they say that Tyson (chicken raisers, and chicken packing houses) are polluting the Illinois River and it isn't safe to get in the water.  What about the fish people catch there and hope to eat.  If there weren't some regulations, I believe things would be a mess.  Personally, I feel the Government should lower the speed limit to 55 mph to help conserve gasoline like was done when Carter was President.
Myrna
Yes, I know I got off the subject of smoking, but we were also talking about Government regulations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk