Kentucky Derby

Started by Wilma, May 03, 2008, 10:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I can't find a list of the entries in the big race.  Does anyone know who is running or where I can find it?

Teresa

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

Most may have heard by now that Eight Belles, the second place finisher, went down after crossing the finish line and was euthanized on the track where she fell.

Both ankles were fractured.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

We watched the horses run and everything was good until the filly went down.  Of course the cameras were on the winner and when he unseated the jockey, we were wondering why.  Jockeys don't fall off their horses.  Then the cameras found the filly on the ground.  Later we were told that she had been euthanized right away.  There was no way that she could have been saved.  My daughters watched the rerun of the race and they thought that she hesitated just a tiny bit of a second about ten feet before she crossed the finish line.  I watched it later on the news and it seemed to me that she faltered a bit then ran on.  I haven't seen any film of her going down.  My first thought was that the jockey had brought her up too short, but I don't think a jockey would do that.  Jockeys love their horses and what they do.  It was sad, very sad.

Diane Amberg

We are all reeling here over the loss of Eight Belles.  I did see one quick clip of her going down and the Wilmington paper here has a big article on what happened.  She broke both the cannon and sesamoid bones in both front legs (open fractures) which then took out both ankles. The track vets put her down immediately...nothing else to be done. The owner Rick Porter, owns Porter Chevy here in Newark and has had race horses here at Delaware park for a long time. Larry Jones, the trainer, works at Del. Park too and also trained last year's second place winner, Hard Spun. There were all kinds of parties at our local sports bars and after what happened the bars cleared out, everybody was just sick. She'll eventually be cremated and brought back here to Delaware Park.  So sad.

Lookatmeknow!!

I am behind.  I just saw the news today.  It is very sad!!  As an animal lover, but especially a horse lover this is very sad!!! :'( :'( :'(
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk