Oklahoma City

Started by W. Gray, May 07, 2008, 09:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The grocery shopping cart was born in Oklahoma City in 1935.

The parking meter was born in Oklahoma City in 1936.

The first tornado forecast took place in Oklahoma City in 1948.

In 1910, Oklahoma City had a new hotel open featuring "iced air" otherwise known as air conditioning.

Oklahoma City was home to Operation Bongo II in 1964 in which the city was bombarded with 1,250 sonic booms over a six-month period in a test conducted by NASA, FAA, and the Air Force. Don't know if there is a connection but Oklahoma City is now trying to lure the Seattle Sonics away from Seattle.

The state of Oklahoma has produced more astronauts than any other state.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

"The State of Oklahoma has produced more astronauts than any other state." 

and me, not to mention Reba McEntire, Will Rogers and those are just off the top of my head. 

Marcia Moore

I was born in Oklahoma City in 1954.

Diane Amberg

My great uncle Jacob was Chief of the Oklahoma City Fire Department many years ago...does that count? :D

W. Gray

Are you aware of the fire fighting museum in Oklahoma?

Your uncle might have had something to do with it?

I went through it about thirty years ago and was impressed at the old fire fighting trucks they had.

At the time, they were all sitting outdoors in the elements.

I hope they have been able to bring the equipment into a building since I was there.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

Musn't forget my dad; born in Oklahoma Territory.
Edie

Wilma

So was my mother.  Don't know where her father was born but her grandfather was half Indian, er, excuse me, Native American.

Diane Amberg

W. I've never been to see it, but I understand he was involved with the museum. I'll have to ask his son for details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk