What Do You Save???

Started by Wilma, April 16, 2008, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Yes, plastic bags are very handy to save.  Boot covers for hubby's muddy boots when he runs in the house for something and doesn't want to shed his boots.  Trash can liners.  And also for packing "peanuts"; got that idea from my sister.  She packs sacks around anything she is mailing in a box (good way to pass them on?).
I also agree about the coffee plastic cans.  I use them to pick garden in the summer.  Water plants in the house.  Fill pots with dirt.  Etc, etc.  And the good thing, is that when you get too many (I drink a lot of coffee) or have one that's too grungy... they are recycle #2!
I also save yogurt, cool whip, sour cream, and cottage cheese containers.  Yogurt containers are perfect size for Lemon Freeze recipe in during the summer.  Sour cream is good size for dog food/cat food scoops.  And all containers are good for leftovers.  And again, they will recycle when you get too many.
We also save water bottles (good kind) and gatorade bottles for hubby to use to take tea in his lunch.  Those sometimes don't make it back home, so we rarely get overstocked on those.

Devyn-Leann

Quote from: Tobina on April 17, 2008, 09:47:56 AM
Yes, plastic bags are very handy to save.  Boot covers for hubby's muddy boots when he runs in the house for something and doesn't want to shed his boots. 

Wow!! I thought Billy was the only person who did this!! We have a no shoe rule in our house. And he knows how agitated I get if he doesn't remove his boots in the mud room. But if he just has to come in for a second, he slips on some plastic bags. We also save coffee cans out in the shed, for nails and screws and bolts and such. Also save the big jugs that hydraulic fluid comes in for the tractors. We have an ever growing stash of 5-gallon buckets also. Billy saves baling wire also. He uses it for EVERYTHING!! He once replaced his shoe strings with the string used in his hay baler. He said they were very sturdy and strong and would last forever... ::) I told him he looked like a nut.

In the house, I save boxes that things came in...Our DVD player box, the box the scanner was in, the box for the digital camera, and the car DVD player box....they're handy for storing different years bills for the farm, and one box holds all the manuals and instructions for some of the electronics in the house. I save some shoe boxes, depending on size. One box holds Lane's crayons, one holds scrapbooking supplies...I also save EVERY single scrap of fabric. Never know when I might need it.... ;)

pam

hey balin wire has got me on the road again more than once! :laugh: :laugh:
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Devyn-Leann

I think that our old feed truck would be in pieces right now if it weren't for balin' wire. More than once I've come home and something was close to falling off, or even had...And it was strung back up with baling wire....

pam

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

I forgot maybe the most useful thing that I save.  Cardboard.  The cardboard from the back of calendars and such.  Such nice straight edges and perfect corners.  I just used a piece from the back of the desk calendar that I buy every year.  I have 6 or 7 of them now and they make good signs for our yard sale items.  But what I used it for this time was to back the schedules for the pro basketball playoffs.  I now have it all on one sheet that I will be able to find when I want it.

How come no one has said that they save money?

sixdogsmom

With gas topping $3.59 a gallon? You must be kidding!!  :o :o
Edie

Diane Amberg

I've cut back some since I'm not growing a garden for 3 families any more, but I sometimes save plastic gallon milk jugs. cut off the bottom and they make nice hot caps for young plants,  or cut a piece out of the side, throw in a big ball of twine, thread it through the top and you have a nice garden twine dispenser. Cut the bottom off handled liquid detergent bottles and you have a nice scoop for bird seed or whatever. Egg cartons and yogurt cups are great for starting little plants. I use twist ties for all kinds of things. I keep a few bread wrappers for pulling up poison ivy... put it over my hand, pull up the little ivy plant, turn the bag inside out and toss.

Ms Bear

Smart idea, Diane, using the bread wrapper to pull up the poison ivy.  I save almost everything also but I thing I do save is the panty hose after they get a hole in them.  They are great for tying up tomato plants, rose bushes that need to be trained or tamed.  Won't hurt the tender plants and will last a whole season before rotting.

Wilma

I just found myself putting away another cardboard tube that comes in the center of paper towels.  I use them for storing extension cords.  Fold the cord, stick it through the tube and never again a tangled cord.  Also, it can now be hung on a hook instead of stuck on a shelf somewhere where you can't see it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk