What Do You Save???

Started by Wilma, April 16, 2008, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I just did something that prompted me to wonder about the rest of you.  I just saved the end of the stick that you run through the bottom of a window shade to keep it from curling and other things.  If you have any experience with the adjust it yourself window shades that are available now, you will know what I am talking about.  We put up new shades in the bedroom and had an 8 inch length of that stick (there's a name for it, but I can't recall it now).  It is plastic and shaped like a flat tube.  Looked like a good sleeve for a sharp knife to me, so I just put it in the tableware drawer to save until I find a knife that needs it.

So what do you save?????

sixdogsmom

I hate to part with the mesh bags that veggies and fruit come in. I always think I will make some sort of bird feeder from them. Actually they work quite well for suet and such.
Edie

Bonnie M.

We save the plastic bags that we get from the grocery stores and other places, and we use them to line our waste paper baskets.   I think probably most people do that?  There is legislation now (maybe only in California) to start charging a "tax" on plastic bags, so people will start bringing in their own bags and "save the planet," probably. 

I "save/recycle" typing paper that's only been printed on one side, and print off my e-mails for Bob to read on the unused side.  (Doesn't everybody do that?)

We save way too much "stuff," then have to go through and get rid of it, eventually! 
Bonnie

flo

I save coffee "cans" (not cans anymore, I guess)  They are just so handy for so many things.  Found a new use yesterday.  A 3 pounder holds the right amount of water for my bird bath.  Put fertilizer in one in the winter time for ice melting - have 2 or 3 full of odds and ends of bolts, one with brass fittings, you name it, you can probably get it in a coffee "can". AND have empty ones in the basement ready for whatever use they can be. I save my plastic bags also, till the dispenser gets full then afraid I'm a bad girl and toss 'em.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Judy Harder

When I use to do my own repair work and the like I always saved the used nails and screws and hardware that we salvaged
from all of our projects.

Now, I don't have projects, but I did save a can or two of them when I came to the Longton Housing.
Now I keep wishing someone would ask me, "Do you have a nail or screw that I could use?" I hate to just through them
out........someday I may have a need for that doo-hicky.

Now, as to the mesh bags that come around fruit and veggies...they make nice scouring thingys........and when done or dingy,
just give a toss.

I also save all the twist ties out of plastic bags through them into my junk drawer.
Do any of you have at least one drawer full of stuff that we never seem to use, but save for some strange reason????
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Bonnie M.

Judy, my "junk drawer" isn't as junky as it used to be, as I did get some dividers to sort out all of that good stuff.  We save the twist ties, also.  And, we have several cans with "nails, screws and - whatever" in them, stored "somewhere" out in the garage.  So, yes, we safe stuff we sure don't use!
Bonnie

flo

the only time we'll ever need those doo-hickey's is RIGHT AFTER YOU THROW THEM AWAY.  I don't have A junk drawer, I have TWO junk draws and they hold absolutely everything, EXCEPT WHAT I NEED AT THE TIME.  :-\

Judy Harder

Flo,
that is the truth as we see it..............I do have more than one, but was embarrassed to say
how many.

I have a drawer with tool-thingys and I have a drawer for utensils that I never use but save incase
I might want to use them to cook with again. (What do we do with old pancake turners and the like) I just can't pitch them. YET

I also have a drawer in my bedroom for extra cards, either ones I am saving from the family or the ones I plan on sending one day,
but for some reason none of them fit, so I go buy another one.

The joy's of a homemaker........now as to the tools I kept thinking I would do something with them here.......I have a little of everything, except power tools...OH I do still have my drimel tool set on a shelf....I guess I want someone to ask me if I have a certain tool.

Oh well.........one day my daughter will have to dispose of it......I won't worry any more..
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

flo

OMG, Judy, got to save those old pancake turners.  Never know when you might go on an over-night camping trip and THEN you will need one.  ;D

pam

I save balin twine, it actually makes pretty sturdy clothes line! tie down tarps, tie gates shut, tie tomatoes up, its almost as good as duck tape:P
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk