Good Night All

Started by flo, April 01, 2008, 11:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Those red things Flo are "Bloomers".. Then there was the petticoat under the white skirt over the bloomers.
whew... LOL

They wore over the bosum corsets on the outside of the camisoles ...
And under the bosum( for lots of cleavage) under the clothing.

We had an outstanding day today. Got all the filming done for Cowboys.. and tomorrow we do the filming for Down Range. 

I have never in all of my life been in a dust storm like they had today.  :o
The wind was HORRIBLE today. Like real hard Kansas wind, but there isn't any grass to blow off of it. It is just tons of  powder fine dirt.
The clouds started becoming dark.. the temp. dropped about 15 degrees and the wind blew nonstop all day. About 3:00, we all looked toward the north and it looked like a huge wall of a tornado forming from the sky to the ground.
Someone hollered for everyone to HURRY!!!! and grab whatever you could and help get the vendors goods inside their tents and on the ground if their were breakable items.
People who knew and lived locally  hollered out that we had about 1 1/2 minutes!
I had no idea what was going on.. but I helped a lady put her hurricane lamps and cowboy pottery on the floor of her open tent.
And people were grabbing clothes and books and everything to help these vendors out..
And I kid you not, I looked up and across the "town"  and it looked like a solid wall of dark brown *can't see anything* wall heading our way. I stepped inside an open flapped tent and that dust storm hit and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. And you couldn't breathe either. The inside of the open tent was nothing but dirt. I had to take a breath so I grabbed my camera bag and thought that I had to get out of there. I kept my hand over my face and stepped outside the tent and I couldn't hardly stand upright. The dirt was so strong and so powerful that it felt like bees stinging me all over and my glasses were instantly covered. I was coughing ( along with everyone else) and keeping my back to it, I side stepped back inside the tent.

Then it stopped. The wind blew back to normal and the dirt tornado was gone and EVERYTHING was literally covered with dirt.
Peoples faces, clothes, hair, books ..you name it..it had dirt on it.

By the time we left ( about 1 hr later) we were filthy. My teeth and lips were just gritty.
Never have I seen anything like it...

Will post a  few pics tomorrow night of us that were taken today. I'm just too tired right now to get them ready for the website.

G'Night Kansas...
(I'm ready to come home) :'(

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

what an experience that must have been.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

Just a taste of Kansas during the dust bowl days.  The approaching storm did look like a huge wall of dirt and there wasn't much time to get the windows closed, the clothes off the line, the kids inside, the chickens had to take their chances.  Yes, Teresa, you have experienced a real dust storm.

Bonnie M.

That dust storm sounds like what we see in the movies! 
Bonnie

Wilma

Bonnie, did you never go through one of those dust storms?  Maybe you didn't have them over here in these green hills.  Growing up in Sedgwick and Sumner counties, there were plenty of them.

Bonnie M.

You know, I don't remember having gone through a dust storm.  But, we lived "way out" in the country, and were pretty much surrounded by pastures.  Of course, my memory isn't as good as it should be, probably! 
Bonnie

Wilma

Your memory isn't any older than mine and you can tell how sharp I still am. ;D ::)

Bonnie M.

I tell Bob that he has "selective hearing," I think I might have "selective memory!"  I really don't recall a lot of "stuff" that happened back in the old days, like I wish I could.
Bonnie

frawin

We've had those in West Texas!!!!  Sometimes, they would last all day or last all night.  It does look like a wall coming in.  One time Frank was in Levelland, TX and had to go to Hobbs, NM.  Had to follow snow plows to clear the roads and also had to change the air filter before he could get there.  I was in Midland with the kids that particular storm.  Went into a meeting about 5:30 P.M. nothing was going on (we were south of Lubbock and Levelland), but 6 P.M. the dirt was so bad that you couldn't see a quarter of a block.  It actually blocked the streets with in areas of town with tumbleweeds.  The dirt is so fine it can find it's way into your house not matter how tight it is.  Yes, and your face feels like sleet hitting it.  Teresa, I am sorry you had to experience it.  I used to say I would rather have sleet than the dirt aned sand hit me in the face.  the one storm I just told you about was only one of many.  They used to tell us some terrible stories about the earlier days when people hung laundry on the lines and people lived in the oil camps.

Mlw

Judy Harder

I was wondering where you were on your trip.
Yes, we want to hear from you.
This will be the only trip I get to take this summer....(unless I go back to Topeka with family)
but, that would almost be a freebie......No motel or any extra unless I want to.

I don't know about the area east of the Mississippi......but I think that Iowa and Wisconsin are a couple of the
prettiest states I have been in.

I just love the rolling hills and when I went to my daughter  a few years ago......I just enjoyed my trip so much
Did you get to stop at the Amana Colonies in Iowa? I could only stay over night, but did stop early enough to walk through
the motel site. Really beautiful.

Bet you and Al are ready to be home in your own beds..I always love to leave..........but there comes a time when my bed and space just calls to me and I have to go home.

Glad your trip is going well.........Night to you and stay safe.
God bless
Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk