WHERE'S the FIRE???

Started by Wilma, April 01, 2008, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I think it is in the north part of town somewhere because it sounded as if the sirens went that way.

Mom70x7

North Penn -

We didn't go see, but might later.
The trucks have all gone now, so I'm assuming it was a small grass fire.

Calibritwo

It looked like a storage shed, but Once again, our fire dept was right there and took care of it.
We are so blessed to have such a responsible fire crew. Its getting a little weird though with all the fires in this one area!
Thats four within two blocks of each other!

Wilma

I thought there was a building involved.  I had been smelling the smoke for awhile before the fire whistle went off and it didn't smell like grass fire.  Do you know what caused the fire?

Teresa

It was Rob Cookson's big storage quonset building.
He was burning the grass off back there and it got out of control and caught the building on fire. He didn''t have sufficient water to get it back under control and it did what fire does.. It went crazy.

Rochelle and I  just got home from Wichita awhile ago.. and the guys just told us a little bit, so I don't know many details.
I imagine when Danny gets online tomorrow he will be able to fill us in on the details.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

DanCookson

It was a small grass fire that burnt into an unused storage shed.  The dark smoke was made from the aluminum on the sides of the shed as it melted off I presume.  It was contained quickly and no other property was affected.

A good lesson to people wanting to burn grass and even leaves around wood structures, you can never have too much water on-hand!! 

Ms Bear

When I am burning grass or small brush I fill the 1 gallon pump up garden sprayer and keep it with me.  Spraying a fine mist from it will cool the fire or keeps it from getting away from you.

Teresa

Well, that is what Rob had.. and it wasn't enough.. :o Fire just took off and that fine spray didn't even touch it.

I think that is what Danny meant when he said make sure you have enough water..
I try to have my garden hose handy with extra hose connected if I have to ..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

Another fire last night.  Jean Gray's house in the southwest part of town.  Don't know how much damage or anything else yet.  This happened right after the earlier rain, etc. and the siren sounding surprised me as I didn't think there could be any tornadic activity then.  My phone rang immediately and Janet says "no tornado.  A house fire."  Good to have a daughter like that.

Wilma

Daughter walked down to the site of the fire and she says it is a total loss.  Hopefully, our talented Cookson reporter can tell us more about it later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk