Buying a New Car in Howard, Kansas

Started by W. Gray, February 10, 2006, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

•   At one time in Howard, one could purchase a new car manufactured by any one of the Big Three. Howard had three new car dealers as late as the 1950s. Looking back, Howard seemed to be in its prime in the mid fifties, although realistically it probably peaked well before that.

•   Hebb Pontiac was located where the Lanning garage is now at Wabash and Adams. He could get one display car into his showroom in the sales area where the Lanning's now have their cash register. It was a tight squeeze. I recall seeing the 1955 Pontiac for the first in his little showroom. It was a red and white two-tone model. Two-tones were the cat's meow back in the fifties. Lots of chrome detail separated the two colors. Later on, in the decade some models even had three colors and the 1957 Hudson was introduced as a four-tone which included a gold colored plate on the rear sides. Hebb's service area was in the Lanning garage. I do not recall where his used car lot was located but it may have been further south on Wabash after the lumberyard where the pizza place is now.

•   Bryan's Ford was located where the bank is now on the southeast corner of Wabash and Randolph. It seems to me he could get two, maybe, three cars in his showroom. His service area was where Signer's is. His used car lot stood across the alley where the post office and parking lot is. My mother lives in what used to be the Bryan family residence.

•   Garrison Dodge was in the brick building on Pine Street across from the courthouse. I can recall going in there but do not recall much else except his used car lot was at the same location.

•   If you did not like Pontiac, Dodge or Ford, you could go to Moline and purchase a new Chevrolet from Ames or a Chrysler from Square Deal. In Moline, when you turn south on 160 to go through town, I think the Chrysler dealership was on the northwest corner as you turn The Chevrolet place was up at the corner where 160 turns west again.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk