Native Americans

Started by Tobina+1, March 26, 2008, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Teresa, many, if not most, of the Native Americans live very well and do very well. We have lived in NE Oklahoma and do now,  which is home to many of the tribes and many Native Americans. Many if not most of the Native Americans here have good jobs, do very well. They are Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Business People, Farmers and Ranchers  and very hard working citizens. When I started with Phillips Petroleum company 40 years ago the Chairman of the Board and Cheif Excutive Officer of Phillips was also the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. I think the Indians that have stayed on the reservation to live on Government Programs do the worst and have it the worst. It is the same for the Native Americans as it is for all Americans "OPPORTUNITY IS OUTTHERE YOU HAVE TO GO FOR it , NOONE IS GOING TO GIVE IT TO YOU".
Frank Winn

Teresa

That is what I meant Frank when I said that no matter what happened in the past.. no matter how horrible.. you have to pull yourself up and over it and take advantage of the opportunities of THIS day and age. And they're out there. It might take extra work on some peoples part.. but the fact is.. the past can be overcome..
Even though I am saddened by the past treatment of people.. I don't think there is any room "in this day and age" to whine about
you should give me THIS job and THIS Benefit cause my ancestors were slaves. 
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

archeobabe

I did a paper at Wichita State on the "Osage Indian Murders".  While researching for articles on the murders through the Wichita Eagle and Wichita Beacon, I found newspaper items on how the Osage Indians sold their lands to oil men for the oil that was found on Indian lands.  There was only two books written about the murders and you can find the full investigation of the FBI on the internet.  The money was paid into the Bureau of Indian Affairs who paid out an allowance to the tribe.  The Osage was one of the poorest of the Native American until the discovery of oil on their lands.  Many didn't know how the handle their money.  They would go out and buy a car to drive it until it would break down or run out of gas then they would go and buy another leaving the first car where it stop.

Diane Amberg

Alcohol problems are high too.

Teresa

yeah.. the white men knew this too back "in the day"..
They ( native Americans) have something in their systems that does not work with alcohol.
I have read about it before, but I can't remember what it is..
Can you help out Diane?

pam

I heard a guy talkin about this once. He was talkin about how alchohol (wine) was used in the whites religious ceremonies and it was poison to the natives, and how tobacco was sacred to the natives and it was poison to the whites. He thought it was strange. Dad told me once that's why I shouldn't drink, too much Irish and too much indian lol.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Teresa

Quote from: karmablvr on March 28, 2008, 07:19:02 AM
. Dad told me once that's why I shouldn't drink, too much Irish and too much indian lol.

Diane Amberg

Teresa, I don't know a lot about the alcohol problems. When we went to Chichen Iitza, the guide said that native peoples have always had fermented drinks such as pulque, but it was used at ceremonies and such mostly by the priests. There seems to be some thought that there is a genetic connection that causes the alcohol absorption rate to be faster and stronger but I don't know if it was ever proved.

pam

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

Want some Kickapoo joy juice?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk