HISTORY?

Started by Wilma, March 10, 2008, 09:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I have a question.  Just how much U. S. History is being taught in the schools today?  And does it cover the presidents, the wars from the Revolutionary War to today,  the expansion of the country, etc.

Also, is the Constitution of the United States being taught?  I seem to remember a very dry subject that we called Constitution or Government.

W. Gray

This is an interesting question.

My personal opinion is that it would be not be a lot.

I queried some school web sites and did not come up with much.

The West Elk web site says that for 2008 that a student needs 24 credits for graduation, 11 required and 13 elective.

For 2009, a student will need 24 credits consisting of 16 required and 8 elective. That is a pretty good increase in required courses.

They don't list the required courses or the electives, however.

I suspect that increase from 11 to 16 required credits for 2009 might just be a little more required history, though.

Times were different then, but I recall in my high school, we were required to take a history course of some type the entire year each year.

Additionally, it was a requirement for every freshman in the school district to turn in a major independently researched project on the "History of Independence, Missouri." That might seem a bit much for fourteen year olds but it was a requirement. The Jackson County Library was only too happy to help and the city of Independence had historical handouts created for "the kids." You had to go to city hall to get the hand out and you had to get it personally from the full time mayor. Although I knew none of the rules of research that was my first attempt and I still have the results of that project packed away downstairs. It was hand written.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flo

I don't know about the high school students, but one 7th grader in the resource was having American History because I was teaching it to her.  There were a lot of things that I had known, but forgotten over the years, so it was also a refresher course for me.  We started at the very beginning of the explorers before Columbus and when I quit we were studying the Houses of Congress, the Constitution and amendments and the Bill of Rights.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Devyn-Leann

I graduated in 2005. Every senior has to take Government. Ask me if I remember anything from it...

momof 2boys

From my experience in high school, which was 20 years ago, Government is a required class senior year and American History is the junior year.  I know that 7th and 8th graders also take history classes.  History is also taught in the elementary classrooms, with sixth grade learning world history, while 3rd - 4th are studying American History.  It is also mandatory that sixth grade in Kansas take Social Studies state assessments.  Speaking of state assessments, public schools must take these tests and make AYP
(adequate yearly progress) according to No Child Left Behind.  This wonderful idea of our current President, which states that ALL students by the year 2012 will be proficient in Reading and Mathematics.  With proficient being a percentage that is dictated to the schools.  This sounds all great and wonderful and perfect!!!  However we don't live in a perfect world and not all students come to schools with the same advantages.  So many come to school with absentee parents, alcohol or drug abuse at home, physical or emotional scars.  They are beat down by so many different stressing situations that school work is one of their last concerns.  Think about it, you are a 10 year old who had to get yourself up this morning, make yourself get dressed, try to remember to gather all of your school work (that you didn't get done the night before because your single parent was either drunk or angry and you tried to avoid them), you have to walk to school because you missed the bus.  Finally when you arrive, you are late and missed breakfast and haven't eaten since yesterday at school lunch.  Do you think you could concentrate on school work?  I think not!  Sad to say, there are many stories like that in our school systems and we are expecting these students to leave all of their baggage at the door and try to score a proficient level on assessments.  Now, I'm not saying these students should be left behind - - - I 'm saying our President or whomever is our next President --- needs to look over No Child Left Behind and find ways to help these disadvantaged youth.  Programs need to be developed and funded.  I know that many of you are thinking what about SRS stepping in.  You have all heard the horror stories of how children get lost in the system. Calls can be made to SRS, but they may never be followed up with visits or the visits may only result in a response that the child is in no harm.
This is frustrating beyond belief!    Sorry, I kind of got off the subject.  But I am very passionate about what President Bush has not done for so many of our youth.

Lookatmeknow!!

Ok, as a former teacher of elementary.  I will tell you that each teacher has benchmarks to teach there students.  I think you can look them up on line, but don't really know where.  When I find out I will let you know.  And in Jr. Sr. high there are benchmarks that each specific teacher is to teach.  Benchmarks are what I consider teaching to the test.  But that is just because I am getting to not be a fan of public schools.  I know that is terrible but that is my opinion.  I can tell you they teach the stuff, but like Devyn said, when you can't remember it what is the use.  That means that the teacher didn't really do a great job! Or the student just wasn't paying attention.  Which is it Devyn???? :P :P
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Lookatmeknow!!

If you go to Kansas Department of Education you can pull them up.  I have them some where, but not sure where.  But you know Wilma that is a good question.  Because I have been struggling with public schools versus homeschool for a couple of years.  I know that my children need the interaction with the other children is the main reason that we kept them in the schools here.  Also Severy has some really awesome teachers!! I actually can't wait for my daughter to be in 5th grade with Mrs. Perkins.  She was my 6th grade teacher and I loved her.  She and Mrs. Wilnerd were the reason why I went to college to be a teacher, but politics is not my game, and I am now my own boss.

momof 2boys

I feel public schools in for the most part do a great job.  I am very proud of our district.  I believe we have some of the best teachers.  These teachers are highly qualified and do a job that is definately not for everybody.  You must take of the role of teacher, nurse, parent, counselor, and confidante.  Yes, there are benchmarks that teachers must teach to, but this is a result of NCLB.  Many subject matters must be pushed to the side so that students can be prepared for the state testing that is used to decide whether schools are doing their job!  Is this right, problably not.  But the government set this machine in motion, and schools must do what they can to provide their students the tools they need to achieve. 

I feel we are lucky in Elk County to have the educators we do!!

Lookatmeknow!!

You are really right about the teachers in our district!!  But my down fall is the adminatration.  They seem to get all the glory and never do we recognize that the teachers are the ones that are doing all the work.  I believe we have some of the best teachers So, don't get me wrong about the teachers it is the higher up that needs some changes!!

flo

Angie, don't forget that even the administration has rules and regulations they must follow and they are required to enforce and regulate these same rules on down the line.  The very best teacher in the world cannot MAKE a child learn or RETAIN what they have been taught.  Some children cannot retain and sometimes the teacher is so pressed to get a certain amount of the book done before next semester that they just skim over it.  Perhaps this is a place where quality should override quantity.  By that I mean perhaps it would be better to know a lot about a little and remember it than to know a little about a lot and only remember bout half of it.  Make sense?
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk