No school on Fridays

Started by indygal, March 05, 2008, 06:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

I've been told Longton schools are closed this Friday (and that this is a regular practice in the county schools). Can anyone tell me if all county schools do this on the same days or do they alternate? I guess what I'm wanting to know is how the "Fridays off" thing works. I'm hoping Moline will be open, but would sure like to know before I drive over there. Also, will schools be in session this coming Monday? Someone mentioned they may not be but wasn't sure. I guess this would be one of those advantageous times to have school-aged kids, eh? On second thought.....empty-nesting is quite all right, too.

indygal

No replies? Surely someone can explain to me how the "no school on Friday" thing works. It would help me to know, since I had planned to go to Longton and Moline this Friday to pick up some items the students made for a contest -- if Longton school is closed, will Moline be closed, too? What about Severy?

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, to answer your question about Severy and Moline being closed this Friday that is a negative.  They are in session.  But there is not going to be preschool.  As for the no Fridays things, Susan Galvan could really explain that one when it comes to the West Elk School district.  But the past year and last they were trying to have at least one day a month off, or more at least that is what is seems like.  But here it is not usuallly been Fridays, it has been Mondays.  But again with all the snow days that we have had off, those days are being made up on the schueduled days off.  It is really confussing, if Susan Galvan reads this maybe she could explain this better.  But school is in session for Moline, West Elk, and Severy, just no preschool.  Does that help??? ??? ??? ???
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Judy Harder

Just a note to explain that this is the week of parent teacher conferences and that is why
the school in Longton is closed.

We are not scheduled for any but normal days off. I think that spring break is still on.
Once the powers that be were concerned about making up snow days, but I think they got that
done and everything is a go.

There is ONLY 9 more weeks of school...............where did this year go?
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Teresa

I know.. where DID this year go.. but more...Where has Susan Galvin gone? We haven't heard from her for quite some time.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I see her come home in the evenings some times, so I know she is still there.  She is a little later than she used to be, so I would say that she is very busy with school, etc.  I miss her, too, and wish she would at least check in so we know that she isn't just tired of us.

momof 2boys

USD 282 has been implementing a schedule this year, as they have the past two years, in which they are attempting to take one day off the calendar each month.  Angie is correct, in that it is usually a Monday.  But these days are to help decrease the expense of heating/cooling of buildings, buses, etc.  Our district has not gone to a 4 day week as has many surrounding communities, but is attempting to cut some expenses by decreasing days.  Our school day is longer now, with the school day beginning at 7:50 a.m. and ending at 3:25 p.m.  to makeup for these days off.  As for this Friday, the 7th, there will be school in session.  Next Friday, the 14th, there is no school as it will be conferences.  Spring break is the 17th through the 21st.  Then Monday the 24th is one of the designated Mondays off for the month.   

I hope this info helps answer some questions.

frawin

I saw Susan when we were in Howard a couple weeks ago.  She told me she was extremely busy, teaching school, preaching, and taking a class or two herself.  She said by the time she grades papers, studies, and does what has to be done at the house, she is worn out.  Said she gets on the forum some, but it would probably be summer before she has time to participate.

Myrna

Devyn-Leann

When I was in school ( I graduated in '05)...We went no matter what. There could be a tornado warning, and we were still lining up for the bus.

flo

;D ;D ;D but you got to ride the bus.  Most of us walked at least two miles, in the snow, up to our waists, wind blowing 75 miles a hour, and up hill both directions.  :-\ :'(  I was in the fifth grade before Severy got school buses; however, I lived in town so didn't get to ride the bus and we lived at the other end of town.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk