Thirty Thousand People?

Started by W. Gray, March 05, 2008, 01:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Prediction from the Longton Weekly Ledger, August 9, 1872:

"When the U.S. Census is taken, in the year 1880, Howard county will have a population of over 30,000."

Early the next year, the Kansas governor cited the phenomenal growth of Howard County in his annual "State of the State" address to the state legislature.

Howard County went away in June 1875.

The actual 1880 count for Elk and Chautauqua counties combined was 21,695.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

I looked it up and in the year 2000, the Chautauqua County population was 4,359 and the Elk County population was 3,261, for a total of 7,620.  Makes you wonder what happened, doesn't it?
Bonnie

W. Gray

Most everyone got better wheels.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Well, some of what happened is---the 80 acre, 160, or 240 acre farms are gone.  Can't make a living.  Plus there are no jobs to speak of for young people.  Sad isn't it.  When I worked in the bank in the late 1950's and early 1960's it seems like there was about 8,000 people in Elk County.  Lots has changed since then, however,

Myrna

Lookatmeknow!!

It is sad that there isn't more people, because they don't know what they are missing.  Yes, I am fortunate enough to have found an occupation that I can have that I love, and that makes my family a living.  But it would be nice to have more people move in and around Howard.  Part of the problem is the land, yes there are still some really big farms around Elk county.  But the price of things has caused many people to move closer to their jobs, GAS!!  But the price of land to buy has become really high.  That is good for some, and bad for some.  I know that the JC Wiseman's kids had a land auction a couple of weeks ago and not many local people could buy the land.  But on a good note, the amount of Hunters that the county does get is good for our economy.  We had hunters rent our rental house this past deer season, and the amount of money that they spent in our town really helped out.  I do have to admit I LOVE THE SMALL TOWN OF HOWARD!!  I can't imagine what it would be like to any where else.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

W. Gray

From the Longton Weekly Ledger, April 17, 1874

"Several long trains of immigrant wagons have passed through Longton recently. All going to settle in Howard county."

Bonnie M.

Were these "immigrants" refered to as "Gypsies?"
Bonnie

W. Gray

In those days, all newcomers to Howard County, or to any other western U.S. area, in which the newcomer was seeking to stake claims on new land and settle were referred to as immigrants.

After the raid on Elk Falls, Boston people hid the Howard County records and equipment in wagons disguised as immigrant wagons and sent them into the Flint Hills of Cowley and Butler County. They stayed on the move with the drivers advising anyone who asked that they were looking for good unclaimed land to settle on. Over a two month period, no one ever guessed who they might be.

The Kansas governor did not know where the records and stuff were but personally negotiated their return. When the records and equipment wagons finally arrived in Elk Falls, no one in the town gave it a thought, they believed it was just another immigrant train coming through town.

Bonnie M.

Oh, my gosh!  What a deal!  "Stuff" happening isn't anything new, is it?
Bonnie

W. Gray

It did not make any difference whether you were a Russian coming from New York after freshly arriving by ship or whether you were born in Illinois and decided to move west, you were still an immigrant.

Not sure, though, how long one had to be in Howard County before you were no longer considered an immigrant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk