Started by T. Sackett, March 01, 2008, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Sackett

Elk County Quota,
    4th Loan Bond Drive..........$138,100.00
Amt. raised as of Jan. 22........  22,232.00

Amount necessary
     to meet quota.................$115,868.00

Every Elk county citizen is expected to purchase War Bonds and Stamps in order to go over the top.  Buy onw wxtra $100 War Bond.  Let's all back the attack; let's support our boys by buying War Bonds; help win the war.
     Read your county newspapers for outstanding days in the bond drive.   B.A. EBY, Chairman for Elk County, 4th War Loan Bond Drive.

From the Howard Courant - Citizen, January 27, 1944

Note:  It's enough to make a person shed some tears reading the newspapers in the early 1940s.  There were so many troops being either killed in action or missing in action, letters that soldiers had written to the "folks back home" and the papers were filled with news items pertaining to WW II.
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

W. Gray

I do not know how true this is but in the movie Flags of Our Fathers, it was mentioned twice that the USA was in grave danger of going broke.

Also in that movie, it was stated the only thing that kept the country afloat was the war bond drives.

Flags of Our Fathers was about the famous flag raising at Iwo Jima and the surviving raisers subsequent tour of the US to spur people to buy more bonds. They must have served on the 5th or 6th war loan drive.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

I can remember taking money to school to buy stamps to put in a book and then when it was full, we  bought a bond.

T. Sackett

I guess I should have named this thread WW II, as I have various items that pertain to that time period that I could post.  The War Bond Drive effort actually started Monday, May 4th, 1942.  It was trying to promote the idea that all wage earners and salaried people in the United States should set aside a certain portion of their earnings each week or month to buy bonds and stamps to help finance a victorious war against our enemies.  H. F. Houser was appointed chairman for the drive in Howard, also committees of helpers were formed.
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

W. Gray

I also can remember buying special stamps to fill a book and then get a bond. I got a 25.00 bond which cost 18.75 in the special stamps. The stamps were in something like 5, 10, 20 cents, etc. each.

In my case, though, it was for the Korean War.

I guess nowadays, when the government needs money to wage war, they do not push bonds but borrow the needed money from China or elsewhere...
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, when the government needs money nowdays they just print it.
Frank

W. Gray

Speaking of printing (coining) money, why don't we (the government) stop producing the penny?

What real value is it?

Do we need it?

Has it served its day?

Try and give a child several pennies...

We know it costs more than one cent to produce.

Why do we need to keep it?

Why keep it?

Jody

I bought  3 $25.00 bonds when I was in grade school.  It doesn't sound like very

much, but at 10 cents a stamp, ut took a long time to fill each $25.00 book. I cashed them in when I was a Jr. in

college and I was running out of money at the end of the year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk