Better Fill up today

Started by frawin, February 28, 2008, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Well, I'm wrong. Al reminded me I have seen 75 MPH highways before. The stretch between Phoenix and Tuscon is 75. I completely forgot that one. I guess all the cotton fields distracted me. :laugh:

flo

thank you, but 55 and MAYBE 60 is plenty fast enough.  Wish people would slow down and enjoy the scenery around them.  Always in a hurry to get to where they are going.  I say start a little sooner.  I just let 'em pass me.  However, I remember when the speed limits changed.  We were driving a Mercury Marquis Brohm SE 8 passenger station wagon.  That durn thing wasn't made to drive 55 mph. :-\  Only speeding ticket I've ever gotten was right after the speed limits changed to 55.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Catwoman

Heard tonight on the news that they're thinking about reinstating the 55/hr. thing...only the public is resistant to the idea...gee...the stats on not only the gas savings but also the amount of lives that were spared speak for themselves...although...I like speed as much as the next person!  I hear the echoing strains of that great rock mantra..."I can't drive....55!". :-)  What big hair rock group was it that sang that?  Probably one in spandex, to boot.

frawin

A bit of trivia , the American people, millions of them have 500Billion dollars invested in Exxon, a less than 8% return seems reasonable.

Diane Amberg

Cat, that was Sammy Hagar, 1984, I think...Your love is drivin' me crazy....

Catwoman

Frank, that 8% would be a lot more reasonable if it were going in my pocket! (lol)  Diane...Sammy Hagar, huh...hmmm...I can almost picture him in my mind...wasn't he the one who fronted for Van Halen for awhile?  I think it was during that time that the song "55" came out, maybe...OH does that bring back memories!  By the way, did anyone catch the press calling our gov a "kindred soul" to Obama???  Hillary, without the dark side???  I sure wish our democratic press wouldn't quite so obvious about their being so Democrat in their leanings (check out all of the press that Obama is getting just for boarding a plane...press coverage is enormous just for his ability not to get airsick...McCain should be getting the same kind of coverage but can't even get an honorable mention...and NO I'm not "for" McCain...I just think that everyone should get the same amount of airtime)!  Now, before our resident Liberals get in an uproar, being a Democrat isn't a necessarily a bad thing...uhm...uh...no, I guess it's not a bad thing. (Just kidding!  Put the lynch rope away!) 

Diane Amberg

Yes, Sammy Hagar was with Van Halen for a time, and yes it was when "55" came out. I don't remember why he left though.

Teresa

I don't want it to be 55 mph. If I want to drive 55 I can.. but I want the option to go 70 if I want to also.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

frawin

Crude Oil is trading up this morning at $130.775 up $1.895 and Natural Gas is  at $10.725 up $0.1555.

frawin

I thought this was an interesting article that would give some of you that have an interest in understanding the Futures Markets use and Impact in oil trading, supply and Pricing.
Frank

Oil futures: Know when to hold 'em
Rumors that Mexico is locking in oil contracts for future delivery at today's prices prompt questions of whether oil's record run has come to a halt.
Subscribe to International

feed://rss.cnn.com/rss/money_news_international.rss
Paste this link into your favorite RSS desktop reader
See all CNNMoney.com RSS FEEDS (close) By Steve Hargreaves, CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: July 17, 2008: 5:35 PM EDT

With prices at $135 a barrel, some producers scramble to lock in long-term contracts.
Oil sands & the environment

More VideosSpecial Reportfull coverage

Oil futures: Know when to hold 'em
Pricey gas: Fewer cops, more potholes
OPEC's empty toolkit
Oil ends lower, in 4-day $16 selloff
Sizing up Iran's oil threat
Awash in oil money

Quick Vote
What kind of car do you see yourself driving in 10 years?
ElectricHydrogen Solar Gas  or View results
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- In the last three days oil prices have fallen by roughly $10 a barrel. Many analysts say slackening demand, or the threat of it, is the main culprit.

But another force could be at work in the background. Last week various analysts said there was talk that Mexico, the world's fifth largest oil producer, was hedging its bets - the country was said to be signing contracts to deliver oil several years into the future at today's prices. Essentially, it was betting oil prices have peaked.

"This is a smart move," said Phil Flynn, senior market analyst at Alaron Trading in Chicago, who also thinks there's a good chance prices have peaked. "If I were an oil producer, I'd want to lock in these prices."

Analysts say if other oil producers follow suit and lock in future contracts, that could be one thing that would cause oil prices to fall, far and fast.

But it's hard to tell if that's happening because information about who is buying what is kept private for competitive reasons.

"I don't know who else is doing it," said Nauman Barakat, an energy trader at Macquarie Futures, and one of the traders who mentioned the Mexico news in a research note. "There's been a lot of talk, but it's kept very confidential."

One analyst, speaking on background only, said he had confirmed Mexico was locking in futures contracts. He said it was being done at the behest of the Mexican government, eager to balance a long-term budget, rather than a bet by state oil company PEMEX, that prices will fall.

But could Mexico's move inspire similar steps from other oil producers, and cause oil prices to fall further?

"Absolutely," said Neal Dingmann, senior energy analyst at Dahlman Rose & Co., a New York-based energy investment boutique. "It could create a top in [oil prices] in the near term."

Dingmann said about 50% of the production from the firms he covers - mostly small firms - has been sold for future delivery at today's prices.

Why isn't everyone doing it?
The selling from Mexico also raises another question: Oil companies and OPEC have long said oil prices are too high - driven by Wall Street speculators and a falling dollar rather than supply and demand.

So if they really think prices are too high, why aren't they all locking in contracts now?

For starters, it's believed some heavyweights, like Saudi Arabia and Exxon Mobil, don't play the futures market at all - they don't get into the complicated dance of buying and selling futures contracts on NYMEX or any other markets.

In vastly simplified terms, they take whatever price is being offered when their tankers pull into port.

Second, there aren't enough takers for these types of contracts. There simply aren't enough people who are willing to pay $135 dollar for a barrel of oil delivered in 2013, said Fadel Gheit, a senior energy analyst at Oppenheimer.

"Exxon produces 1.2 billion barrels of oil a year," said Gheit. If someone locked in all that production for five years out at today's prices, and crude fell 20%, "it would be a disaster," he said.

For Saudi Arabia and other OPEC counties, non-OPEC oil producers like PEMEX locking in future contracts is a problem.

When the price of oil falls OPEC likes to pump less oil to keep prices up. If producers sign long term contracts, they're obligated to pump that oil making it more difficult for OPEC to control prices.

"You get stuck with this extra production that's out there," said John Kilduff, an energy analyst at MF Global in New York. "Then OPEC has to reduce market share just to maintain price."

On the New York Mercantile Exchange, things are looking fairly balanced for the first time in a long time.

Big commercial users of oil, like refineries, trucking companies and airlines, are holding just slightly more "short" contracts - contracts where they are betting the price of oil will fall - than "long" contracts, according to Addison Armstrong, director of market research at Tradition Energy Futures, an energy brokerage based in Stamford, Conn.

Previously, commercial users had overwhelmingly been betting prices would fall, and much of the runup in oil prices over the last few months was a result of them selling or closing out those short contracts and buying long ones, said Armstrong.

Meanwhile, non-commercial users - like banks and pension funds - are holding just slightly more long positions. The market, said Addison, is pretty well balanced.

However, that doesn't mean we won't see more of the huge price swings of the last few days, swings that have come to characterize the oil market of late.

"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk