Better Fill up today

Started by frawin, February 28, 2008, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I understand, I try to look at all of the factors, and I am sure I have somewhat other opinions than most due on this subject but I have been watching it for almost 40 years and the changes have been both interesting, disappointing and mind-boggling. I think we will survive all of it but it will be painful and require lots of adjustment.
Frank

pam

yeah it will, the problem is I don't have room to adjust much more. We already didn't do much drivin and we have already cut out anything extra. Be hitchin up the horses and takin two day trips to town if somthin don't give lol
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

frawin

Pam, I know that it is making it difficult for Millions of Americans, unfortunately I don't think there is any quick fix, no matter who is President. I do think changes are taking place that will make a difference in the future but it will be gradual.  All of the US auto makers are reducing their slate on large vehicles and V-8 and V-10 engines. When I travel I watch closely the types of vehicles I see and the trend is changing to more and more smaller vehicles but it is doing it slowly, ever so slowly and it will take several years to make the transition, in the meantime I think good old American ingenuity and perseverence will get us through it all. I see signs that OPEC and others are having concerns that the price of oil is getting so high that it will result in development of alternative fuels and power sources and that we, the World, will eventually reduce our dependence on oil enough reduce OPEC's income drastically.
Frank

frawin

Pam, I am amazed that our politicians didn't at least have an idea that the energy crisis was coming. Look at the world population growth, in 1980 there were 4.5 billion people in the world, in 1990 there were 5.3 billion people in the world, in 1999 there were 6 billion ,  in 2006 there were 6.5 billion and currently the population is estimated at 6.8 Billion. In addition consider that in America we have somewhere between 12million to 18 million Illegals  consuming energy.
Frank

Lookatmeknow!!

I see where you are coming from with decreasing the use of v-8 and v-10 engines, but we have to use them in our line of work.  I will say that we have been using the 4-wheeler alot more and the mini truck.  But when its muddy like it has been, we have to use something with a 4 wheel drive in it just to get to town.  The roads are better now, but to tell you the truth why, if we are already conserving gas usage should we get rid of them.  I don't think the everyone understands that if we didn't use these trucks we wouldn't have them.  If we haul cattle or something like that we have to have a pickup to pull it.  I know this is being a little grippy, but I had to drive the truck 3 of the 5 days last week to town.  That was a lot of money, just to go a couple of miles.  We have spent alot of money the last 2 weeks on gas.  Jeff's Grandma Wiseman is in the hospital in Wichita and we went and saw her the last two weekends.  We normally don't go out of town to much, and those visits cost us about 100.00 plus eating out.  That was a whole bill that I could have paid.  When we bought my van, price of gas was around 2.00 or so.  I do get 21 miles to a gallon, but man oh man!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

frawin

You know Angtown, when I was growing up there was mostly 6 cylinder vehicles, including trucks, pickups, etc.  We made it through a lot of muddy roads.  Yes, sometimes we got stuck, sometimes we had chains on the vehicles to get through.  People used stockracks to haul animals not pull trailers.  We need to think about the mindset that we have these days.  I am sorry to hear that Gracie is in the hospital.  Please let her know that we are thinking of her.
Mlw

Diane Amberg

Al is thinking about getting a scooter for around town and good weather. He had one years ago and still has his license for one. if I have to, I have a grocer I can walk to.

Dale Smith

I tend to think that one of the issues that Frank is trying to address is the vast number of "city slickers" that drive big gas guzzlers... things like Lincoln Navigators, Ford Expeditions, Excursions, Dodge Ram quad-cab pickups and etc.  I commute through Atlanta, Georgia everyday, and the roads are filled with them. They really have absolutely no need for these big vehicles.  They have just become "status symbols."  When these people stop driving what they consider to be "status symbols" and get realistic, then we can start to address the energy needs.  

I grew up in Howard and fully get why the farmer needs more power.  I can remember going out to West Eagle Head with Ernie Small and the Ford Pickup he had at that time could not pull the empty trailer up that hill, let alone filled with cattle.

My Prius that gets 57 miles per gallon might not be the prettiest thing on the road, but when I'm at the pump filling up, I'm pretty happy I'm not the guy in the Hummer H3 at the next pump!

frawin

Dale, very well said. We lived in Midland Texas for 27 years and the Joke was the National Car of Texas was the Big Surburban. If they didn't drive a big Surburban,or Ford Ecscursion, they drove a big  pickup, and so did many of the kids going to High school, most of them were people that had no use for a pickup or at least one with a big V-8 or V-10, but they had to have one. The biggest abuser is the Hummer,  6 MPG in town and 7MPG on the Highway for the big models. Time and the high cost of gasoline will reduce those numbers over the next 10-20 years. Rationong will reduce them faster.
Frank

frawin

Diane, I notice more Scooters on the roads here in Bartlesville and a lot more Motorcycles on the streets and highways.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk