Local soldier dies in Iraq

Started by Rudy Taylor, February 25, 2008, 03:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archeobabe

God bless the United States and a double God bless our soldiers, sailors, and marines (the first to go in and the last to come out).

Rudy Taylor

I heard from Shirley Black this morning that the American Legion in Howard had given $1,500 to the family of Sgt. Mackey. Does anyone know if a fund has been set up to bolster this family as they go through such a difficult time? I'd like to include that info in the paper this week.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Rudy Taylor

I just talked with Legion Commander Dwight Winn who asked me to not publicize the donation.  "This is what we do," he said. "It was an honor for the Legion and the Auxiliary to make a donation to help this family until the government comes through with its funding --- which it will do."

I thought that was a nice statement for him to make: "This is what we do."

We need more Americans like that.

Bonnie M.

I received this note from a friend, Bill Caflisch, in Independence:

"I understand that his body is to arrive at the Independence Airport around noon tomorrow with all the military honors.  Also there is to be about 200 of the Partroit Gaurd motorcycle group here in support and to block that preacher from Topeka that protests all the military funerals."
Bonnie

Jo McDonald

That is so good to hear, Bonnie.  It just makes me sick that he is allowed to make sad things so much sadder for the ones that have lost a loved one.  Protecting  the rights of all of us to have the freedoms we have that allows him to be a total idiotic ass and do what he does.

Our sincere condolences to the grieving family of one of our brave heros that has given his all for our country.
  May God wrap his arms around the survivors and heal their grieving hearts.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

giester2

Quote from: Dignified Redneck on February 25, 2008, 08:53:02 PM
If it's of any interest to all of you, the Patriot Guard was started by a member of the Mulvane American Legion. I'm quite sure someone has already contacted the family or the funeral home about being there.  I work with a member of the Patriot Guard and they are very consciencous about protecting the family of any veteran in the their time of grief.

most interested... I didn't know it was started in Kansas.....what a great way to honor fallen heroes
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

T. Sackett

I will attempt to put Sgt. Mackey's picture on here that I found on the Find-A-Grave website.
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Rudy Taylor

Teresa

Bless his heart................................

Quote from: Jo McDonald on February 26, 2008, 11:51:06 AM
That is so good to hear, Bonnie.  It just makes me sick that he is allowed to make sad things so much sadder for the ones that have lost a loved one.  Protecting  the rights of all of us to have the freedoms we have that allows him to be a total idiotic ass and do what he does.

The Phelps guy and other peace activists are genuine, living, oxymorons. They are exercising their first amendment rights to protest the injustice of war. HOWEVER, they only have that right because of the sacrifices made by other, better, braver, more public spirited people, IN WAR.
If they were TRULY going to reject war and the spoils of war then they would surrender their right to free speech. The truth of the matter is that they are not protesting WAR, They are actually protesting their own cowardice and inadequacy by trying to demean Men and Women who have, through their own sacrifice, showed themselves to be better people than the "peace activists" could ever hope to be.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Bonnie M.

You are so right, Birthday Girl !
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk