HASTINGS, Ruth Louise (Olson) - b. August 14, 1916 - d. February 18, 2008

Started by Ole Granny, February 21, 2008, 02:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Granny

Independence - Hastings, Ruth Louise, 91, died Feb. 18, 2008.  Service 2 p.m. Wednesday, Mount Hope Cemetery.
Survivors:  Sons, Robert, Darvin both of Independence.  Six grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren, one great -great-grandchild.
Potts Chapel.  Wichita Eagle, Tuesday, February  19, 2008.

Ruth was a former resident of Elk County.  Anyone remember her husband's name?
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

I don't know her husband's name, but I'll see if I can find out.  Her maiden name was Olson.  She grew up around Elk Falls.  I believe the Hastings family she married into was from down around Longton.

Myrna

Ole Granny

Thank you , Myrna.  I knew I should know but it escaped me.  They were friends of my parents.  I remember Bob.  He was born on February 29, therefore, only having a birthday every four years. We always joked about how young he was. because of not having very many birthdays.   Believe Bob was a year or two older than Jerry.  Believe one of Bob's sons or could be grandson is a baseball player.  Don't know for sure if it is major or minor.
Eskimo Legend

Bonnie M.

Her husbands name is/(was?) Merle.  Their son who was born on February 29th. was Ron.  I worked with him at Union Gas for a number of years.  Ron's son was Scott, and he played professional basketball.  I think he played for Atlanta, among other teams.  He's a sports announcer now, on a Denver Station.  At least he was, not too long ago.  My cousin, Darrell Hare, lived in Denver, and knew Scott.  I watched Scott grow up, he was, of course, VERY tall!  So was Ron.  

Waldo, do you know who Scott Hastings is?  Ron passed away a few years ago.  I'm assuming that Merle has passed away, since he wasn't listed as a survivor.  They used to be in Longton a lot, to visit his parents.
Bonnie

W. Gray

Yes, I know who he is. He was born in Independence, KS, and played professional basketball for New York, Atlanta, Miami, and finished his career in Denver.

He was a quite a popular player.

He did have a "driving home" radio show with Dave Logan, a former Bronco player.

For the past several years, he has been on the Altitude Sports Network, a cable outfit headquartered in Denver, and broadcasts each Nuggets television game. He is also a commentator for the radio broadcasts of the Denver Broncos.

I was not aware he was from the area.

Check this web site and see if he looks like you remember him

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/staff_directory/Hastings_bio.html
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

"see if he looks like you remember him"

Good heavens, NO!  I knew him as a "young guy!"  Of course, he's probably still a "young guy!"  He has certainly done quite well for himself, hasn't he?

His great grandparents names were Bert and May Hastings.  Bert had the pool hall in Longton for many years.  May was as sweet a woman as any could be!  Merle's sister is Lucille Kill, who lives in Longton (Brad's Mother) and their brother who passed away some time ago was Harold "Red" Hastings.  So, is that more than you really needed to know?
Bonnie

Judy Harder

Bonnie, I knew Scott Hastings

His mother was Linda Etcheson (married Gerald Etcheson) when I knew them, she was my kids teacher at Lincoln Grade School
in Independence.

One of my kids, I am not sure which was in his class at the grade school.
I did keep track of him up until he went to the Atlanta Hawks.....as long as the Reporter
kept him on their sports page.

Then I lost him. He is around 44 give or take a year.....my oldest would have been 46 this year and my daughter was 44
and David the youngest is 41 this year. So Scott is right in there somewhere.

He had a younger brother named Chris and another one, but not sure of that ones name.
Merle was brother of Red Hastings and Lucile Kill...........but that is all I know.

Love to keep track of the people who went to school with my kids (or me) and play remember when, when I see them.
AOYP
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

W. Gray

The afternoon time slot for Hastingss "driving home" radio program was in the same time slot and on the same station, that Alan Berg occupied. Berg was a controversial talk show host and one night after he finished his broadcast, some White Supreme fanatics followed him home and left him dead in his driveway with thirteen bullet holes.

When we were working, the wife and I were in a two-person carpool (we got to park closer to the building) and listened to him every afternoon after work. However, he always made off the wall statements, put his foot in his month, and generally confused both his co-host and us. We laughed and we liked him.

It was otherwise obvious that he was quite intelligent and I began to wonder if it was a ratings gimmick.

He demonstrates none of that behavior on his current television and radio shows.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ole Granny

Thank you, Bonnie.  I was out shopping tonight and Ronnie Hastings came to me.  When I saw the obit with Robert as a son I just assumed that was correct.  Robert must be a younger sibling.  I do not remember him but do Ron.
Eskimo Legend

Ole Granny

After viewing the picture of Scott Hastings, I believe I see the Olson face shining through.
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk