Quartermass Mansion, Moline

Started by Roma Jean Turner, February 16, 2008, 03:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

Moline Republican  December 19, 1890  (Does anyone know the location of this house?)

On Friday evening last Mr. and Mrs. R. Quatermass entertained a housefull of their Moline Friends.  They have just completed and got settled in their fine mansion, and this gathering is what might be termed a house-warming.  All who know Mr. Quartermass understand that he never does things by halves, and on this occasion he and his clever wife seemed to even surpass themselves.  The house is roomy and tastefully furnished.  An elegant supper, comprising an extensive menu, was served.  No guest could accept such entertainment as was provided without wishing the host and family all the happiness such a pleasant home affords.  The following guests were present:
     O.P. Blossom and wife, H.R. Ellsworth and wife, S.Z. Ellsworth and wife, W.C. Goodwin and wife, Carl E. Goodwin and wife, W. H. Smethers and wife, John Cleveland and wife, Chas Aker and wife, J.D.Dunlap and wife(my gggrandparents), Frank Webb and wife, A.W. Craig and wife, G. B. Kelly and wife, F Tillotson and wife, J.G. Redman and wife, A. Bolinger and wife, W. R. Whaling and wife, A.B. Good and wife, W. E. Pruett and wife, Geo O Harris and wife, Geo C. Armstrong and wife, Geo E. Martin and wife, Mesdames, Geo D Symms, W.H. Downing, S. H. Caldwell and A.M. Parsons.

Wilma

There is one thing about this that irks me.  That is the term "and wife".  Don't these women have names?  I am so glad that it isn't that way now.  I do like the term Mr. and Mrs. when it is a very social occasion but I prefer the ladie's name be used, too.  No longer are we just an appendage of our husband's.  We are very much our own person and I like it that way.

Roma Jean Turner

Yes, I agree.  Reading the old papers really gives one a window into so much about the times. 

archeobabe

Don't you love the Victorian times.  At least today a woman doesn't have to answer to a man and ask permission to do anything she want to do.  Oh, by the way, where was the Quartermass Mansion located in Moline.

Jody

Ican't wait till you read the book --SOMETHING ABOUT SOFY-- A book about my Mother.  (Hattie Davis Crismas)  Tom Thompson made her part of his newspaper family (Polk Daniels, Pip Daniels and Sofy Daniels.   My grandfather Brice Davis worked for Tom Thompson as  a typesetter until his death in 1905.  MY Mother quit high school to take her fathers place at the paper.               The book will be out sometime this  Spring. 

W. Gray

Jody, who wrote "Something About Softy" and do you know who the publisher will be?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

I look forward to reading the book, please keep us posted.  I don 't know where that mansion was located.  I hope someone on the site will know.  I have looked through some of the papers from 1885 but this is the first time I have encountered the Quartermass name.  I have this microfilm for a couple of weeks, so will be doing some more looking.

ddurbin

Mr. Quatermass was definitely one of Moline's prominent men in it's early history.  He was the initial owner of the ranch southeast of town known as the Eagle Park Ranch. (See earlier posts regarding this ranch).  He sold it in early 1884 to the Ellsworth Brothers, H.R and S. Z., for a reported amount of $20,000.  I recall his name quite a bit in my reading of the old Moline newspapers, so will look back through some of the pages I copied and see if I run across anything more about him.
In the wedding article of my gg-grandparents, Edward M. Durbin and Metta G. Webb, in Nov. 1889, the Quatermass' are listed as having given them 'a beautiful and unique set of silver napkin rings.'

ddurbin

from THE MOLINE REPUBLICAN, Friday, Sept. 25, 1891
Mrs. R. Quatermass returned from Santa Barbara, Cal., last Friday evening after an absence of eleven weeks.  She reportshaving a very pleasant visit with her friends on the distant sea shore.  She brought home a basket of California fruit that was quite a curiosity to Kansas people.

Bonnie M.

"She brought home a basket of California fruit that was quite a curiosity to Kansas people."

Even in this "day and age," we bring back California fruit, and it is always quite a treat!  Our daughter, Cathy, has lots of orange, lemon and grapefruit trees, and also Avocados.  The problem with bringing them on the plane is that they are bulky and heavy!  But, it can be done!   I think we'll going to be driving back in May, instead of flying, so, hopefully we can bring some back with us. 
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk