Latest Snowfall

Started by W. Gray, February 15, 2008, 02:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This is a photo of our latest snowfall.

Just joking.

This is a Denver Post photo taken yesterday on US 6, 85 miles east of my house.

That must have been one humongous snow thrower they used.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Make that 85 miles west of my house and 3,500 feet higher.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Hey, Waldo, do you know if you are coming or going?

W. Gray

In another life, I was Buster Keaton.

Diane Amberg

That looks like the kind of snow they get in that '' Never Summer'' range. I've got some photos taken in July that look almost like that. Great photo, Buster,err, Waldo.

W. Gray

We have camped in that area and it actually has a good summer and does not get cold until nightfall. I love sleeping in the cold but have to wear a wool stocking cap.

Ninety miles north and west of us is Trail Ridge Road, which is also US 34. It runs at an elevation of 12,000 feet and goes above tree line.

Trail Ridge has to close in September and the highway department has to remove snow similar to the picture in order to get the route open by Memorial Day. Otherwise, it probably would not open until July 4.

One has to wear a heavy coat when traveling that road during the summer if one wants to get out at any of the overlooks. The wind whistles through there and makes for a very cold outing.

A similar road, Colorado 5, which at one time, was the highest paved road in the world is on Mount Evans, and ends at 14,000 feet. Pikes Peak, also at 14,000 feet has a similar road but it is not paved all the way.

We went up to Mount Evans once during the summer. I cannot get the wife to go again. Both of us wanted to walk another 200 feet to the summit but we did not get more than twenty feet when we started suffering from severe oxygen deprivation and had to return to the car to rest. We then noticed it was just the young ones making the attempt. We rested for thirty minutes and then drove back down, still a little woozy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk