Killed His Young Wife

Started by T. Sackett, January 06, 2008, 04:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

I just ordered that reel. I'll try to find the answer.  I was getting ready to order another one anyway, The Moline Republican 1890.  I had never heard of that paper.  My grandmother Roma was born in 1890 and I want to see if I can find a birth announcement for her.   I found the most beautiful, old fashioned looking, photo album.  I am going to make into an album of her life.  She died at age 35.

frawin

Roma, that is nice of you to do that.  If I were there, I would have done it, but I live about 75 miles away.  Thank you for your kindness.

Myrna

Roma Jean Turner

If you ever want to look at the microfilm of an old paper, you can contact your local library and tell them the paper and the years you are interested in.  They will order the microfilm from the Kansas Historical Society and keep it at the library for you.  I believe I get to keep them for two weeks.  It costs $2 0r $3 is all.  Our big Library Center here has a coffee shop, etc.  When I get a microfilm in, I go out there in the morning with my laptop and hunker down in the quiet corner where the microfilm machines are.  Then I go to lunch in the coffee shop and hit it again.  I have been know to spend 6 or 7 hours at the library center.  I always tell them that to me, the most peaceful place in Springfield, is the geneology section of the Library Center.

frawin

Roma, we do that when we go to the Kansas Historical Museum in Topeka.  There is so much information there.  If you go, though, you might want to take a sweater, as it is always quite chilly.  I have only been in the summer, so don't know how they keep the temperature in the winter.  We really enjoy going up there.

mlw

Roma Jean Turner

I' would love to go there.  There just isn't any clear cut, easy way to get there from here.  I believe it is about 4-5 hours.  I would like to go through the capital again, etc.  Need to plan about a 4 day trip and I don't know anyone there to stay with, so that means, motel bills.  Anyway, that is why I haven't made that trip yet. 

Roma Jean Turner

Just an update. I really haven't forgotten this project.  I just found out that the lady at the library who orders the microfilm has been ill and my order got overlooked.  So they expect it in around the 10th and I will then set out to find Mr. McCoy's fate.

Roma Jean Turner

The Elk Co Citizen    May 18, 1904

McCoy the wife murderer, was sentenced to the penitentiary for one year and then to be hanged.  The latter part of the sentence, however, is never carried out in Kansas and virtually means a life sentence.  Sherriff Maddox took McCoy to Lansing, Saturday morning.

archeobabe

Thank you for the information, right now I am very busy getting all my books unpacked.  I believe that the total count is 2,000.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk