Killed In The Mines

Started by T. Sackett, February 11, 2008, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Sackett

Last Monday, at about 6 p.m., Edward Shilds, a miner at the Jenks coal mines, six miles southwest of Howard, was instantly killed by a cave-in.  Shilds and another miner were working together when a cracking noise was heard and the other miner jumped back, saying to Shilds that there was danger.  Shilds made some remark about no danger, when the words were hardly out of his mouth before a great chunk of rock buried him completely.  The miners went to work immediately to remove the debris but it was an hour and a half before the body was taken out.  He was found completely crushed from his head and it is thought he died instantly. The light in his hat was still burning when recovered.  The deceased was a married man and had three children and lived near the mine.  His sister, Mrs. Slaten, was immediately notified of the horrible accident and went at once to the scene.  The remains were taken to Moline and from there to Coffeyville, the home of the deceased's parents, Mrs. Slaten and his family going with them.

Mr. Shilds was an honest, hardworking man and it is only lately that he has been able to work in the mines, having stuck a pick in his foot several months ago from which injury he had not fully recovered.

Taken from Elk County Citizen, dated Friday, March 1, 1895
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

ddurbin

from THE MOLINE MERCURY,  August 17, 1888
One day last week, Mr. C. P. Jenks, residing north-west of Moline on Mound Branch, made a valuable discovery of coal on his farm.
He was digging a stock well and at the depth of five feet found a vein of coal sixteen inches thick.  He tookout of the well eighteen bushels of good coal and as he is burning the coal he knows he has a good quality of the black diamond.

W. Gray

Can you imagine taking a swing with a pick and having it land in your foot?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

I guess a pick may have been better than an axe, lots of folks lost feet that way also.
Edie

W. Gray

I winced when I read about the pick. An ax never crossed my mind but it would be worse.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk