Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, February 05, 2008, 03:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

T. Sackett

That was very interesting to read.   I can vaguely recall the days when people used "General Delivery" when they weren't gong to be in a particular town for very long.
     And I can also recall when people used to mail greeting cards within their own city.  Instead of writing the name of the town on the envelope, they would only write the recipient's name, then "city" and the person would get the card.
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

W. Gray

Marcia,

I assume dead letter offices are centralized somewhere today?

After I left Viet Nam, the military post office there forwarded a letter to me with just an address of "Independence, Missouri."

A fellow in the local post office called every Gray in the phone book (there were a bunch) trying to find me.

I thought his effort was admirable but when he finally got me at my parents house, he was infuriated and could not understand why I had not left a proper forwarding address.

I had and tried to explain it was a war zone and papers may have been lost, etc., but he would have nothing of it.

He insisted I contact them and leave a proper address. I did not tell him I would not bother. The next day, I was headed half way around the world to another destination.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Removed.

W. Gray

Just recently, in the last couple years or so, the people of Howard were warned by the Postmistress not to put "city" on their address as the post office would not be able to tell where it was going.

All mail mailed at Howard addressed to someone in Howard from that day forward went to Independence and then after cancellation went back to Howard for delivery.   
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Removed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk