Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, February 04, 2008, 06:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

W. Gray

A "believe it or not" for me about that item was that Severy had a newspaper in 1949.

Checking further, Severy had a newspaper for another 23 years.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Check backwards, Waldo.  I would like to know When Severy first had a newspaper.

W. Gray

Severy Leader came along in February 1880 but lasted less than two months.

Severy had a total of eleven newspapers in 92 years and at least twice had two newspapers publishing at the same time.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Now that is interesting.  Can't imagine Severy being able to support 2 newspapers.

frawin

Wilma, Piedmont had a newspaper also, from November 6, 1902 until August 30, 1917.
Frank

Wilma

Yes, first daughter has done some research on that and I was surprised to hear of it.  It is so sad that we are losing our small towns.  If we still depended on horse and buggy to get around, the small towns would still be strong.  And maybe the whole world would be a better place to live in although I won't be giving up any of my modern conveniences.  But you know, feeding the chickens, gathering eggs,  even milking cows wasn't so bad when I was able to do it.  I am getting old, aren't I?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk