RAIN DELAYS BASKETBALL GAME?????

Started by Wilma, January 28, 2008, 10:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

It's possible.  It happened.  I was watching the Lakers game yesterday and they were showing the custodians rapidly mopping up water behind one of the goals.  Then the cameras showed where the water was coming from.  Right above and slightly behind one of the goals there was a leak in the roof.  It was just one drop at a time at first, then it looked like a shower.  Seems that a crew went out on the roof to stop the leak, got soaked, came in on one of the cat walks and the water was dripping from their clothing in a regular shower.  The game was delayed while the leak was being stopped and the cleanup done.  Wouldn't that be called a rain delay?

Rudy Taylor

The little country school where I attended the first and second grades (all my four brothers and sisters and both parents also attended the same school) had an outdoor basketball court. It was composed of sandy soil and the flat tops of some big rocks. We never had a net on the goals and our one-and-only basketball had been worn smooth by bouncing it on the rocky ground.

When our older boys played other country schools from our area, the entire school came out to watch. Girls did not play --- period. We brought our lunch and ate on the ground. Some of our parents came in cars and parked them close to the court.

When it rained in the springtime, which was our season, it wasn't unusual to cancel because of rain.  What I don't know is how we notified the other schools because none of them had telephones.  Our school didn't even have running water, but we did have electricity.

So, the Lakers didn't have anything on the Timber Hill School! We delayed games because of rain, too.

One final thought: Our principal was Mrs. Bessie Roadcape and she was our coach, referee and disciplinarian. She sat at mid-court along the sideline in a folding metal chair.  When a foul was committed by either team, she rang a hand-bell and hollered, "Foul ball !!!!!"

Nobody dared argue with Mrs. Roadcape.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk