WEATHER!!!!!

Started by Wilma, January 15, 2008, 10:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Elk County has been removed from the warning for the time being.  I wouldn't be too sure about later today.

Teresa

Tania Mills my niece who is in Colby, said her car was totally iced over this morning and my sister said it is colder than blue blazes in Mullinville. ( out by Dodge City.)
Then you have Nebraska with low temps in the 20"s and Western Ks in the 30'
s..here it is high 68-70.... THAT is a tornado begging to happen tonight.
Temps here are dropping just a bit but still easily t-shirt weather..
We had a huge limb off one of our trees split off last night and now it is just hanging.. so that is something that will have to be taken care of.. plus we lost some shingles off the shed. The wind was horrible at around 3 this morning. and weather radiop said it was up to 60 mph..
Yuck!
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I am sure the wind was up to 60.  I was up and listened to it.  It popped and creaked my metal roof all around.  I liked the idea of a metal roof so I could hear the weather and I certainly can. 

Teresa

Wow.. this weather has got cold.
Going form 71 this morning to 46 now.. THAT is a huge drop.. but it at least maybe gets us out of the tornado  vortex.

flo

daughter of a friend lost the roof off her barn a few miles west of Emporia.  Talked to the daughter in Mo. tonite (karmablvr) and she said there was extensive wind damage in Neosho MO.  Seen the weather map and it showed a lot of bright red and West Plains MO was right in the middle.  Guess I better call Lewis' uncle and ck on him.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Tobina+1

Hello from the Smoky Hills!  Actually, still in the Flint Hills, but looks like the BLACK Hills, today!  Good, brisk North wind and EVERYONE decided to burn today.  My hubby was almost crawling out of his skin with excitement this morning!   ;D  He and a bunch of neighbors were going to light up everything on top of the hill today.  I don't know exactly, but I was thinking 10,000 acres they'll burn in one fell swoop.  Plus, the wild horse ranch.  They may as well have just lit a match at 400 and let it burn to Grenola!

Teresa

I can relate to your hubby Tobina..  :D
We are going to burn our lake property tomorrow night and I am as excited as a kid at Christmas..
I love burning time. Lots of hard work .. but I don;t care. I still have fun doing it.  :)

Tobina+1

Chuck made it in at 10:00 last night!  Although, not too smokey; I was surprised!  Guess he stayed up-wind enough... and there was enough wind to blow the smell off!  Pretty much from Road 9 and Killdeer, south to Flint Road, and I think West to Road 5 is blackened.  Then West from there and South from there, too, as those neighbors let it burn all the way through them!  He doesn't know how much the wild horse ranch has, but he still thought 10K acres was a good estimate.  He was exhausted, but glad to have it done!  He'll do a little more today with a South wind, and the horse pasture here by the house (and we can work on the old nasty trash pile out there, too - leftover from the old house).  With this sunshine and rain forecasted later in the week, it won't take long for everything to green back up, though!
Enjoy your burning day, Teresa!  It makes everything look like such a clean start!  Nature's way of spring cleaning!

Wilma

Burning was the Indian way of creating green grass to lure the buffalo back to their hunting grounds.  I can see the sense in that but I still wonder about the wildlife that it affects.  I always hated seeing a rabbit or birds running to get away from the fire.  I suppose some nests were destroyed, also, but I think if a bird loses it's nest they just start over.

Tobina+1

I always worry about the wildlife, too.  Especially when they set such a large area on fire at once.  But then again, Chuck said some of the neighbors didn't even worry about moving their cows!  The cows just found an area that was green and didn't seem too bothered.  My biggest worry is the rabbits; I've heard about them catching fire and then running through the grass catching even more grass on fire (places that weren't supposed to be burned or close to houses)!  That's what we'll have to be careful about this afternoon when we burn close to the house.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk