Main Menu

Freebies

Started by T. Sackett, January 11, 2008, 03:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archeobabe

Does anyone remember the comic books that was given out when you bought a pair of shoes.  I think the store was is Howard.  The owners has them in a box on the floor. 

Roma Jean Turner

I remember the shoe store in Chanute giving out a comic book at times.  Maybe with our Buster Brown's.  God I remember how we used to run in the store and stick our feet under the x-ray so we could see the bones in out feet.

Diane Amberg

Now the doctors would have a fit if those foot x-ray machines were still around. The x-rays were very powerful. I was only allowed to do it once a year. It's a wonder we didn't grow extra eyes or something on our toes. :o

W. Gray

The History Channel had a program within the last couple years about how those machines came to be in stores and why they were taken out.

One store on the square in Independence, MO, had a machine outside their door unattended for anyone to check and see if their shoes fit properly.

No one at the time knew there was a problem but it was not long before they did.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ms Bear

There are still patches of petunias that bloom in the pasture of some elderly friends of mine that were started from seeds packets that were a premium but I don't know what the product was.  Another woman here had periwinkles that she had started from seed that came in Oatmeal and they were started in the early 40's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk