Hit Parade

Started by W. Gray, January 09, 2008, 04:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Subscription to Sirius is 12.95 per month.

I neglected to mention that we get Fox News Channel and can keep up with good coverage of world news while we are on the road. I think they also offer CNN but I do not care to listen to those folks.

We both like the Korean Channel. I do not understand the words but I like Korean pop music. The Korean Channel, by the way, is out of Los Angeles through the Sirius satellite, complete with US news.

The only other AM station I listen too besides Denver's KOA is KFDI, Wichita when we come through. I always enjoy listening to Johnny Western.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

T. Sackett

We used to enjoy listening to KFDI, when Mike Oatman was one of the co-owners, but anymore they don't play much music, it's mostly just jabbering about nothing.  We got so sick and tired of hearing about the Prairie Rose (before it went belly up) each and every afternoon on Johnny Westerns show.  To make the long story short--we quit listening.
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Roma Jean Turner

I love sateliite radio.  I got it in September, just the small radio, stuck the antenna up in the moon roof and plug into the cigarette lighter.  I bought it especially to make my runs over to Wichita and back.  It really helps the time go by on a trip.

I remember the big old cabinet radios that we had.  We would all sit around it and listen.  All those shows you guys have mentioned.  I remember the Saturday morning shows, the program with the Teddy Bears Picnic theme,   somebody King of the Jungle, wasn't there Flash Gordon as well.  My grandmother listenend to some of the afternoon shows....True Story or something like that.  She didn't think they were appropriate for me to listen to, so I was encouraged to play with my toys in the parlor during those times.

The thing I remember most about the Lone Ranger was that he and Tonto always met at the very same rock.  Ha, ha  Set designing was definitely in its infancy at that time.

Sixsdogsmom:  The cost of Sirius is 12.95 per month.  If you pay by the year or six months I believe it is less.  Along with the subscription for the car, you get a free subscription for part of the stations over your computer.  If you want all of them available over the computer then I believe it is an extra 5.00 per month.  After you subscribe you can go to Sirius.com and set up your account.  Sometimes I have the radio playing in the background on the computer while I work online.

W. Gray

Some of you folks might remember the radio show Sergeant Preston of the Yukon with his dog King.

I became the owner of one inch of Yukon territory complete with land deed as a result of that show and its sponsor Nabisco Shredded Wheat.

Hated the cereal but loved the stuff that came with it.

A land deed entitlement to one inch square of Yukon land was packed inside each box.

I understood the radio network purchased 20 acres in the Yukon and "subdivided" the land.

The program also migrated to TV but did not last long.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Rudy Taylor on January 09, 2008, 04:44:14 PM

For instance, if you heard the following script on the radio, you could imagine exactly what
the scene might have looked like:

"Cutting through the choppy waves, beneath a stormy sky, the battleship leaned to and fro,
its portholes pulling in water like suction pumps. Over the loudspeaker could be heard the voice
of the captain who screamed, 'abandon ship!' At that point, steel doors started slamming and
sailors scampered to the upper deck railing, each of them wearing pink life preservers with frilly
white lace around the edges. The ocean quickly turned to a chocolate milk shake and the ship slowed
to a crawl, its engines now quiet.

Three monsters, heads emerging high above the ship, hissed and roared, hurling marshmellows
in all directions. The captain returned to the bridge, stood on his head and yodeled to the music
of a Swiss band whose members consisted of a 500-pound man with five ears, two lovely women
wearing no clothes, one monkey beating on a coffee can, and a zebra that was trying to play an accordian.

Suddenly, the clouds opened and all the sailors looked skyward. There, in the turbulent clouds,
was the face of Bill Clinton who wagged his finger and shouted, 'I never sipped a milk shake with
that woman, Miss Lewinski!'  Three huge buzzards flew overhead and all were shot down by a
2 ft. tall man whose face bore a striking resemblance to Bob Dole. The battleship restarted its
engines and slowly chugged into the distant sunset, leaving a trail of chocolate syrup in its wake."

Only radio can spark your imagination.

Rudy, would you be taking any kind of medication for this imagination of yours?   ;D ;D ;D

Diane Amberg

I loved radio, used to listen to the shows in bed with the lights out...great for imagining the scenes and the action. Bobby Benson and the B bar B, I Love an Adventure, and all the ones you all have mentioned. Al bought me some of the old episodes on disk. They are still just as good as ever.

archeobabe

Does anyone remember a radio show that invovled a magician.  I listen to a radio show I thought was Mandrake the Magician.

sixdogsmom

I think there was a Sunday comic strip that was called Mandrake The Magician, however I don't recall a radio show by that name.

Our family always liked Innersanctum, the show that started out with the squeaky door; very spooky. The shows were mostly mysteries that bordered on the uncanny. Right down my warped mind alley! We also listened to The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Gang Busters, and of course, Jack Benny. I spent many happy hours listening to Let's Pretend on saturday mornings. I have tapes of some of those shows. Just as good now as then.
Edie

Bonnie M.

Has anyone mentioned listening to "Jack Armstong, the All American Boy?"

I can remember when Johnny Lee Wills was on KVOO, Tulsa, at 12:30 every day.  (I think it was KVOO!)  We were pretty careful how we used up the battery on our Zenith radio!  We always listened to the "Grand Ole Opry" on Saturday night.

We don't have Sirius radio, but our children all do, and they LOVE it!  Especially when they're driving across the country.
Bonnie

W. Gray

Mandrake was on radio on the Mutual Broadcasting System from 1940-42.

It also went to TV but did not last one year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk