Tornado in Longton

Started by Teresa, January 08, 2008, 11:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Just talked to Derek. He is delivering mail today and he said that Rochelle's grandparents ( Amy and Roger Rankin) from Longton, had a tornado hit their house last night and started a fire in one of the rooms. They are staying at the Silver Bell temporarily. It also took Joe and Mary Loves garage and he said something about someones trampoline being wrapped around a tree or something.
I didn't know we had tornadoes. I knew that my deck was literally covered with hail and the wind and thunder and lightening was weird ( in January), but I went to bed at 2:00 and it was only raining then.

Does anyone have any more information on this?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Judy Harder

From what people said at the cafe today.....there was one (or at least tornado type winds)
I did hear the wind come in and it did wake me up....but here at housing we only have tree
limbs down....rain and hail was reported don't know how much.

But, power was out during the night, mine is back on as you can see......but, there are still people around here
that didn't have it as of 1:30......the Silver Bell Motel is without and the Mini-Mart on highway.
Plus others.

I guess we ducked that bullet........Thank God.
the city is operating as usual.
Guess  it was wide spread......Jontra's from Busby and Hadlocks from south of town all had
some wind damage and power outage.

I must say I really enjoyed the warmer weather yesterday......but, if it is going to spawn us a storm like
that I will wave the white flag............and take winter as it comes.
Maybe someone else can fill us in more.

Siren's did NOT blow.
AOYP
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

LisaT

Joe Love said at lunch today that it only took out part of a tree and it hit their shed. The shed didn't seem to get much damage, but the tree has to go.

Bonnie M.

Well, for crying out loud!  Longton isn't supposed to have tornadoes!  It sounds like it was pretty "wide spread!"  I hope the electricity is back on, for the Motel and the Mini Mart.  I did read in the paper about the tornado that was in the Springfield, MO area.  Roma Jean, were you "O.K." through it all?
Bonnie

Roma Jean Turner

Everyone here just feels it was such a strange storm.  I almost wonder if someone was experimenting with the weather, there have been rumors about that.  If you just sat here and watched it on the radar , it was just weird.  The sky was weird, I don't know how else to describe it.  We are all used to tornado weather, but it just seemed that something about this was different. The lightening was so striking.  Like being in a Tesla light show.  Anyway so much for my paranoia. 

I was fine, one limb down across my street, probably a weak one from last years ice storm and a lot of standing water in yards.  I fell asleep on the couch around 1:30 and woke up at 8:30, so I totally missed the sirens that went on in the night.  But judging from what people were saying in the office today, a lot of people were really scared by it.  The temperature is really dropping, so hopefully it will be a quieter night tonight.  We are coming up on the year anniversary of the big ice storm.

We had a number of just fast dropping tornados that just zeroed in on an area and were gone almost as fast.  That sounds like what they had down at Longton.

archeobabe

It was a strange storm.  I was reading before I went to sleep but the lighting kept me awake and the thunder was sounding strange.  It sound like it was in a barrel before the rain and hail came down.

Janet Harrington

On that particular night, I was at work, and learned that there were tornado watches for the area.  However; once I'm inside the building, I have no idea what is happening in the outside world.  We left work in the rain and had lightening all around us.  When I got to Elk City, the rain had stopped and the stars were shining.

Bonnie M.

Where do you work, Janet?  I thought you worked in El Dorado!
Bonnie

Judy Harder

So did I, Janet............did you relocate?

AOYP
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Janet Harrington

I now work at Amazon.com in shipping.  The prison job sucked.  I hated the employees.  This job is great.  I don't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to.  I do my job.  I go home.  I get great benefits.  What more could a girl want?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk