What Do You Like About Winter???

Started by Wilma, December 18, 2007, 06:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

As I write this, there are about 50 robins running around my front yard. It's about 40 degrees outside. I'd love to know what they are thinking about.

Rudy Taylor

I love winter because it represents a wonderful seasonal change. I can't imagine living in a place
where the grass stays green 12 months of the year. I love watching the snow fall. I think there
is nothing that compares to taking a horseback ride when it's cold and you're all bundled up
in a heavy coat, wearing leather gloves and a felt hat. I like seeing what appears to be smoke coming from cows and horses
as they breathe the morning air in wintertime. And I love the way Mother Nature cleanses herself in late winter
just in time for springtime to come and wind the clock for another year's ticking.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Teresa

And THAT ladies and gents..is why I LOVE to read Rudy's book.
His writings just magically take you to what ever he is talking about.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Bonnie M.

Bonnie

sixdogsmom

I agree with Rudy, I would miss the seasonal changes. I like to walk when the weather is bad, except when the temperature gets too far down there and the wind is howling. I enjoy the winter birds and the squirrels, the seed catalogs and looking for spring. I will be ready for that the day after the New Year! LOL!
Edie

Diane Amberg

Rudy really got me thinking about winter and I too would miss the change of seasons. Al and I took a 45 min. trip north today up 896 through Amish country. We went to meet a life long friend and her husband  for lunch at an old country inn (1730s.) They live not far from Lancaster. The road winds through farm fields that have been ploughed under and put to bed to sleep until spring. The "fresh eggs" signs were missing from the driveways, but there were still a few "raw honey" signs to be seen. There were a few left over pumpkins in the fields, but the tobacco, potatoes, corn and wheat has been harvested and sold or stored away. The big plow horse teams (and the mules) were all clustered in warm corners dozing in the sun.  With the leaves off the trees, we could see that some farms had laundry out on the lines. The Amish bright blues, greens and magentas were waving gently in the chilly sun. We saw a few carriages out, with families bundled in heavy black hats and bonnets and lap robes. The horses breaths looked like small locomotives as they stepped smartly along. We were fortunate enough to see a big Bald Eagle soaring over a field of corn stubble. The sun shone beautifully all day today and the beauty of the bare trees was evident.  We saw last summer's nests and a few hawks watching for something tasty to pass by. Even the dry weeds and fuzzed out cattails were artfully arranged by nature. It was a beautiful drive. Thank you for reminding me to look.

Wilma

What a beautiful picture you painted, Diane.  I could just see all of it.  Winter does have it's moments.

Teresa

That was a wonderful visual Diane.. Thanks..

Very early this morning, I looked out my kitchen window and I had 6 pair of redbirds..
Yep... that's right.. It was so wonderful... 6 girls and 6 boys.... :)
They all had mates.. and were helping themselves to the food out of my bird feeder.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

indygal

OK...I fell out of the loop somewhere. What does "aoyp" stand for?

Diane Amberg

angels on your pillow.      And thank you Teresa and Wilma for your kind words. I love cardinals too. They always hang around together like they are having a party.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk