The Hitching Rail on South Wabash

Started by W. Gray, February 06, 2006, 02:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Hitching Rail in Grenola in 1915

Does anyone besides me remember the long hitching rail on South Wabash?

The rack was three or four feet high and used for tying up horses when their owner visited town. It looked like a hitching rack in the western movies but was thinner and made of iron.

It was located on Wabash across the street from the pizza place and was not used very often, but I recall seeing both saddle horses and teams tied there.

I want to say the rack disappeared in the 70's but not sure.

A modern hitchng rail - town unknown

I can recall in the late 40's that during the summer when I was visiting my Granddad's farm on Junebug Road southwest of town, every time it rained hard the county roads were a quagmire. Cars were almost useless getting around after a good rain but some people tried. I recall my Granddad hitching his team up to pull out at least one neighbor driving by and getting stuckā€”it was that bad. It took a while and the horses struggled but they got the car going again. I vaguely recall some talk about farmers having to have mud tires on their sedans.

My grandparents never missed going to Howard on Saturday afternoon and staying late shopping and visiting. There were a number of sidewalk park benches on both sides of Wabash. The men would sit and talk while the women shopped. I recall the women talked also but it usually occurred while they were shopping.

My grandmother would leave a grocery list with one of the town grocers (located in the now vacant lot area next to the old bank). Before going home, she would go back to the grocery. The grocer had all the items she wanted waiting for her in boxes or brown bags with the bill itemized by pencil and totaled. Many times while all this adult visiting was going on, I would walk down to the Plaza Theater and pay my 12 cents to see a western movie.

On one particular Saturday, it rained so hard and the roads were so bad, I remember my Granddad mentioning he would hitch up the team to get to town if that is what it took. I cannot recall what happened that particular day, but I know I never came into Howard in a wagon pulled by a team and I don't think I was ever in a car that got stuck. I think we missed going to town that week.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

You know what?
As I read this, I found that my smile was getting bigger and bigger and the more I read.. the bigger I smiled.
I love listening to stories like that. It is like when all my family gets together.. aunts uncles etc.. and the stories start to come out
about the  'days gone by'...
I could just sit for hours and listen..

Thanks for telling us about this one Waldo.
If you have more stored up in the memory bank.. PLEASE write them down in here and share them ..
I will be all ears..and smiles!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk