Movie Memories

Started by W. Gray, December 05, 2007, 05:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Sometime in the late 1970s, the Crown Uptown in Wichita fell upon hard times.

Management went to a policy of showing only "blockbuster" movies. I do not recall if they brought three strip Cinerama back but I remember seeing Song of Norway and 2001, A Space Odyssey. That movie released in 1969, was a one camera, one strip 70mm version of Cinerama that spelled the end for Cinerama.

When the blockbusters did not work out, sometime in 1980 the Crown Uptown turned into a dinner theater. They could not match the Century II musical plays downtown but they were successful.

On my last trip to Howard over Thanksgiving, the Crown Uptown was still going strong. Rather than a musical play, though, the billing was Riders in the Sky, a western music act mixed with comedy.

Somehow, Sedan, Kansas, has been able to keep a movie theater. While on the subject of plays, Sedan has a group of players who, at times, perform in the theater.

The players call themselves The Howard County Players.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Judy Harder

The players call themselves The Howard County Players.

[/quote]

I got to see this group of actors in the quite some time ago......I don't remember what the play was about.
I do remember laughing so hard at the show they put on that I ached for days.

Don't think I have laughed that hard since.
Thanks for the memories.
Hugs and God bless
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk