Thanksgiving in Howard

Started by W. Gray, November 25, 2007, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

We arrived in Howard after dark on the evening of the twenty-first and drove to the hotel. Most of the ash and unburned debris from the fire is piled high in and rising above the basement. As I turned the corner and went by, I noticed light bouncing off the basement wall from what appeared to be a light bulb shining in the basement amongst the debris. This struck me as odd and the next day I learned the fire is still smoldering. The light bulb was actually a flicker of flame. The next morning heavy smoke was rising from the basement and an acrid smell could be detected from different parts of town. It could smolder a while.

Someone told me the water tower was drained while fighting the fire and tankers went to the lake to refill. Apparently, one or two of the tower pumps were not working and someone had forgotten to fix or replace them.

The cement flat work and plumbing are finished for the mortuary. There has been no wall construction but truss roof girders and lumber are at the site waiting for someone to begin. I was told the new building would be one story only. The new building appears to have crossed the former driveway and I did not readily see where folks would park or how the hearse would get in and out.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at the high school along with about 100 others. The turnout this year was good but not as good as last year. Robin Haines and a retired pastor were helping serve the patrons. A Japanese lady from Elk Falls, Neva Walter, Ruth Watts and Bonnie on Randolph Street were also serving. These people, particularly Ruth and Bonnie, work hard to provide a great Thanksgiving dinner.

Only one thing wrong with having a Thanksgiving dinner out—there are no leftovers. My mom took care of that, however.

Robin Haines and some of his out of town family sat with us. His wife worked at the nursing home that day. Robin and I had a discussion as to whether the hotel burned up or burned down.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Jim Lane was also helping out and doing deliveries to those who could not come in to dine.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk