FIRE IN HOWARD

Started by Wilma, November 17, 2007, 09:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Son-in-law tells me that the old hotel in downtown Howard is on fire.  I can see a lot of smoke in that direction and a glow in the sky.  Have also heard the ambulance.  If anyone knows anything, would you please let us know.  He didn't know if it were the old hotel north of the Cox Building or the old hotel catty-corner from the Cox Building.

Marcia Moore

Have you heard any more on the fire?  I know some fire trucks from Severy went to Howard to help.

Mom70x7

It's the old hotel, now Heritage House, owned by Dorothy Tiffany - where they also do the U-Haul.

I came home just now from the Howard UMC Bazaar; there were still flames in the building, probably a total loss.

Someone said fire trucks from Moline as well as some from towns up north came to help.

Wilma

Do you know if anyone was hurt?  I heard an ambulance a couple of times.

Mom70x7

Haven't heard about anyone being hurt - but we also heard the ambulances while at church.

I don't know if they're related.

Kjell H.

Marshal Halloway

Kjell H.

Marshal Halloway

Teresa

Kjell video'd this tonight and I took pictures. He hurried home and made this video for the Howard Website.
Our Fireman are awesome! I was so proud of all of them

When I left at midnight, they had shut the water pretty much off and were keeping it contained within the structure. It had flared back up and I think they were just hoping that it would burn itself up form the inside and cave in. It is now 12:35 and I have no idea what it is like right now.
I do know that it is a total loss, as it was like old dry hay in the middle of a fire pit.
We are so lucky we didn't have the wind we had 2 days ago or the whole town would have gone up in blazes.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

DanCookson

Just got home.

Fire chief sent half the squad home to rest in case the wind comes up first thing in the morning.  Heritage house burned to the ground.  Only thing left is Chimney.  It spread very quickly and had an enormous amount of fuel in it.  We were not able to keep the flames from going to second story and out the roof

Dan

Rudy Taylor

Thanks for putting this information out for us, everyone.

A downtown fire is always so sad.  I'm glad nobody was apparently injured.

We'll see if Kjell or someone else can provide us with a photo to use in the newspaper.

Rudy
It truly is "a wonderful life."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk