Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Click on... or read below.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/13802334.htm

Fire kills racehorses
About 40 of them are killed in Eureka Downs blaze
BY AMANDA O'TOOLE
The Wichita Eagle

About 40 quarter horses died Sunday morning in a barn fire at Eureka Downs racetrack in Eureka. Only one horse, 5-year-old Smart Effort, survived the fire, which started before 6 a.m. Sunday, said Dick Clasen, vice chairman of the management committee for the racetrack.

Smart Effort's condition wasn't available Sunday night, but Clasen said there were visible signs of injury.

The Kansas fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire, said Marvin Wheat, Eureka assistant fire chief.

The 90-stall barn, which was built in 1989, was worth $79,000, Clasen said. But he said it would take a few days to sort out the total loss because of equipment held in the barn and the value of each horse.

He said a lot of the horses were 2-year-olds training to race.

"It's devastating. It makes you cry thinking about the lost horses," he said. "It's tough for the horse industry."

Eureka Downs runs races from May to July and is owned by the Greenwood County Fair Association. It also serves as a year-round training facility.

Wheat said the horses were dead before firefighters had a chance to slow the fire.

The barn was engulfed in flames when they arrived, he said.

"I wish we would have got there earlier than we did," Wheat said. "But you can't get there any earlier than when you're called."

All 13 local volunteer firefighters responded to the blaze.

It took about three hours and three fire engines to put the fire out, Wheat said.

Donations are being collected for horse owners and trainers.

"Our biggest concern is the loss of 40 horses. It's a loss of revenue for owners and trainers," Clasen said. "The building had insurance. The building can be replaced, but the horses are gone."

Donations may be sent to 210 N. Jefferson, P.O. Box 228, Eureka, KS 67045.

The Greenwood County Sheriff's Office said it would release more information this morning.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Mom70x7

The horse that survived the fire was put down - its injuries were that bad.  :(

Mom70x7

Just heard the horse that survived the fire has NOT been put down. Apparently I was told wrong - my information came from an employee of the trainer that lost 24 horses.

Sorry.  :(

DanCookson

Just being nosey, but which was the trainer that lost 24 horses.  (I know quite a few of them, and was curious who had the biggest losses)

Teresa

They had interviews with 2 of them last night on the news.. but I can't remember their names.
One of them sounded and looked familiar.. last name started with an S..

Teresa

Mom70x7

One of the kids at the high school said the trainer that lost 20+ horses was Josea Ibarra. (Not sure of the spelling  ;)).

Mom70x7

Has anybody heard the cause of the fire? ???

ezzieibarra1

My father lost 24 horses in that brutal fire(jose ibarra) ....Just reading that article takes me back like it was just yesterday Rita came to our house in tears to tell my father the barn was on fire.  The smell, the sight and the sounds I saw that night are ones i dont wish on any. The case of the fire is still do this day unknown.  People at the race track believed it was arson but never was their proof.  I do thank all of the people in greenwood country and surrounding for helping my family as well as the two other trainers in that barn.  I saw both trainers last night in Fair Meadows in Tulsa... They both are still doing what they love just like my father but not one is solo like they were back then. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk