Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, November 13, 2007, 05:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

Wilma

First daughter and I have both looked at the picture of the post card and we don't think there was anything like that in Moline in 1915.  We will, however, wait for the Molinites to decide.  I can say that I would never give that much money for a piece of paper that could be destroyed with no effort at all.

Marcia Moore

Removed.

W. Gray

The ambulance or whatever vehicle that is belongs to the Santa Fe Railroad hospital.

Having lived in the town, the hospital looks like the Santa Fe hospital in Mulvane, KS.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

It is possible that the similarity of the names of the 2 towns causes some confusion.  I have heard them confused by people that have heard of one and not the other.  It would be interesting to know what is written on the card.

Janet Harrington

Should someone tell the seller that the name is incorrect on the card as Moline never had a building like that?   The only hospital that Moline had was the one that is now the Shaffer Museum.

Roma Jean Turner

I sent an e-mail to the seller giving them our opinion.  Maybe if several of us do they'll research it further. We'll see if we hear anything back.

W. Gray

The mystery deepens?

http://www.villamariainc.org/history.htm

gives some photos of the Mulvane Santa Fe hospital that was built in 1911 and abandoned in 1949. Santa Fe moved the Mulvane hospital operation to Topeka.

The building underwent renovation for a nursing home after abandonment.

In 1972, the building was condemned.

If they are the same building, the photo at the above web site would have to be after renovation.

There are some resemblances of window detail treatment and front steps, but it is difficult to judge if they are actually the same building.

It would be interesting to see what was on the post card but having said that, the Ebay site has been changed to show Mulvane, KS.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

I wonder what prompted the California seller to believe his postcard might be worth $249.95 plus shipping?

archeobabe

I agree since watching the Antique Roadshow on channel 8.  No postcards have been priced over $200.00.  Unless it has a historical provenance, the price would range between $50.00 or less.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk