An interesting account of the fires.

Started by Bonnie M., November 01, 2007, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie M.

This is a most interesting account of the fire that swept through this Camel Farm, east of Ramona.  I hope you can open the web-site.  If not, go to www.cameldairy.com, and the web-site should open up.

Nancy Kobert is a friend who did work at the Wild Animal park.  She and her husband now operate the "Oasis Camel Farm," giving tours, etc., and we've been there on a tour.  Very interesting.

http://cameldai1.bizland.com/oasiscameldairyfireemergencypage/

Bonnie

Diane Amberg

I'd never heard of a camel dairy before. Do they really milk camels and sell the milk?

W. Gray

Just as a side comment:

There was once a US Army Camel Corps.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

Thisis an article about the Camel Dairy:

"It took a long time, " Gil Riegler said. "First you have to breed them and then there is a 13-month gestation period. At first we nearly gave up."

Camels lactate for one year and are milked twice a day. Unlike other milk-producers, camels need their baby present in order to lactate and then they only produce milk for 90 seconds. The average camel produces six to seven liters of milk during one milking.

Gil Riegler said camel's milk is the closest thing to human milk, and is high in protein and vitamin C but low in fat.

Nancy Riegler said she sees the dairy as a pioneering operation.

"When you tell people we milk camels they have the idea that it's dirty and gross but they are such clean animals," she said. "Right now we are laying the groundwork to change the social consciousness regarding camels."

Part of that groundwork includes public and private tours. Groups come in for an hour at a time and pet the camels, learn about their behavior, take pictures and even watch one of the babies be bottle fed. The couple also offers private and school tours.

"We have had a really good response," Nancy Riegler said. "I mean, why come here rather than see a panda? It's because this is our family. You have a chance to be immersed in our lifestyle."

The Rieglers' family includes two dogs, a cat, a sheep named Stormy, Byron the pot-bellied pig, a monkey and numerous birds that Nancy Riegler still travels with when she presents her bird show at local fairs.

While the Rieglers currently don't sell milk to the public, they do sell soap made with 25 percent camel's milk.

"It feels so good on your skin," Nancy Riegler said. "It's really luxurious. Any milk-based soap is such a beauty treatment but the chemistry in camel milk is even more beneficial than some of the popular goat milk soaps."

Rieglers sell the soaps on the Internet, at fairs and during tours. A 2-ounce bar sells for $4 and a 4-ounce bar sells for $6.50. The Rieglers are currently developing camel milk-based hand and foot cream.
Bonnie

Diane Amberg

Thanks Bonnie! I find that totally facinating. Al has a friend who retired fron New Castle Co. and moved to family land in Virginia. For something to do, he went to work part time at a goat farm making goat cheese.
People who think milking camels is dirty and disgusting have never been around a big dairy operation!  Those udders can get pretty gross before they are washed for milking!

Bonnie M.

It's probably about the last thing I'd want to do, but, they are really enthused about it!  They "love" their camels, and all of their animals.  Obviously, they are all very tame, and that was why they could get all of the smaller "creatures" loaded up and hauled to safety, during the fires, and herd the camels into a safer location.  What a deal!
Bonnie

Jo McDonald

That is a awesome story, Bonnie.  Thank You !!  I helped milk cows twice a day while growing up on a farm and Yep  Those old girls can get some pretty nasty messes that have to be washed away, before they are milked.  Of course, we did not have any such fancy stuff to use for milking, other than by hand.  I really did have a great childhood -- I love it that I grew up in the country on a producing farm.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Bonnie M.

Me, too, Jo.  We didn't miss what we didn't have!  Times were much simpler then.  But, I think about how tough life was for our Mothers!  They had to make everything stretch to last, our Mothers made all of our clothes, canned all of our food, put wonderful meals on the table, and they were the backbone of the family.  There were fewer "bad children" then, because we were all too busy bringing in the cows and milking them, gathering the eggs, working in the garden, and, quite often, playing with the neighborhood children.  We wouldn't even think of "sassing" our parents, and, fortunately, we have been able to pass the same values on to our children.  Of course, they were raised in the country, also, worked hard, didn't worry about a lot of people havng a lot of "stuff" and they didn't, etc., etc.  And now, life is good! PTL!
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk