Elk Konnected

Started by Tobina+1, October 27, 2007, 11:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

i HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT IF YOU WANT TO PARK A LOT OF CARS IN YOUR YARD, YOU SHOUD MOVE INTO A NEIGHBORHOODTHAT DOES THIS OR MOVE TO THE COUNTRY.

L Hendricks

Just an update on where the Elk Konnected group has been - The vision retreat was held in Jan from people nominated at the community conversation (held in Oct).  50 people attended from the Elk Konnected area (which includes all of Elk Co and Severy).  Those people were from all 6 towns and all 4 sides of the public square (Ed, Biz, Health & Human Services, Govt).  That group came up with the 2018 vision and 5 action team assignments.  The vision is Strong Families, Solid Education, Superior Lifestyle - STAY WITH US AS WE GROW!!! .  The 5 action team goals came from the ideas generated at the community conversation and the interviews held.  The action teams are:
+ Youth Development - establish a coordinated program in the Elk Konnected community
+ Physical Image - set up a community appreciation day to clean up our physical image (inc biz, city/co govt, civic groups, schools) that work together for each community and then grow so that each community can help other communities.
+ Community Wellness: Create the infrasture for a community wellness and enrichment network.
+ Community Standards: Establish standards in each community
+ Communication: Get a community wide publication of all activities and events to patrons.

Several of the forum's members are on these action teams.  As of to date, I believe the actions teams have all met and the wheels are turning.  I know that the Community appreciation day as tentatively been set for April 30 - hope all the locals can jump on this bandwagon - would be a great time to get our area cleaned up.  Some of the topics discussed on this forum will hopefully be addressed by these action teams.

The steering committee is now tasked with raising another $7500 by July to fund the rest of this program. Any donors out there?????????

Rudy Taylor

Liz, the Elk Konnected project offers hope for the future of Elk County. I truly believe that.

I'm supposed to meet with Barbara Clubine in the next few days to see how best our newspaper can fit into the picture. We are eager to help out.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Tobina+1

Myself and Andrea Arbuckle are co-conveners for the Community Wellness group.  Our inital goals are these:

Step 1)  Create a small community center for each town - leading to the centralization of facilities.
Step 2)  Research design, location, and funding for a centrally located facility in a rural location.
Step 3)  Effectively communicate plans for the wellness & enrichment facility & fundraising activities.

We have people on our Action Team (notice, it's not a "committee") from local businesses, schools, health and human services, and government.  Having opinions, educations, and skills from each of the "4 Town Squares" of the community will really help keep the goals in perspective, and will hopefully keep us moving forward.

I'm sure we will be having community discussions in the future to help guide us on our goals, but I'm inviting our Forum Friends to post with ideas, advice, and positive encouragement.  Negativists, please steer clear.

Tobina+1

Pam and Catwoman; I'm posting on this old thread so you can find it easier.  This is the original thread about Elk Konnected that explains a lot about the program and what's going on.

pam

Thanx :) Sounds like there are a lot of people interested in this. Are a lot of people from Severy involved? I sure hope so, Severy used to be such a good place to live and could be again with some involvement. We've been gone for about 9 years, there was still a grocery store and Knights was still in business when we left. Ervins was still a convenience store and Melvins was still open. I think Cobles was even still open. We haven't been back much the last few years, do you know what kind of stuff they are gonna try to do ?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Tobina+1

Pam; there were quite a few people from Severy at the update meeting on Tuesday night.  There are also many people on the Action Teams from all the towns, including Severy and surrounding area.  We even had a couple members of the city council who joined after the CC meeting!
I don't want to speak for Severy, as I'm not as involved in there, but they did announce they are planning a very good Labor Day celebration this year!  Also, the Elk Konnected community improvement group is going to be doing a cleanup day the weekend before, so everything should be looking in tip-top condition!  It would be a great time to head back and visit the old stomping grounds, it sounds like!

Catwoman

What an interesting concept!  I hope it continues to blossom and bear fruit.

pam

That's really cool, Labor day used to be a VERY big deal. Everybody in town would be out mowin and cleanin their yards, makin things look nice because of all the people that would be comin to town. I'm glad they are tryin to get that back :)
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

This thread is also recommended reading for people interested in Elk Konnected.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk