World Series

Started by Wilma, October 21, 2007, 07:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

At one time, all World Series games were in the daytime and everyone wore coat and tie to the games.

In my high school, a b&w TV was brought into the auditorium and the kids brought their lunch in and watched the game. We did not complain because the TV was only 21 inches. That was as big as they came back then. Likewise, during study hall you could go watch the game. Times were different then and once lunch or study hall was over, you promptly went to class regardless of what was going on in the game.

For some reason, the Rockies did not have the traditional half circle red, white, and blue bunting hanging at intervals over the rails like Boston had. I have not heard why.

One could always tell if a game was a World Series game by the bunting.

Boston's Fenway park is old and has the iron I beams anchored at intervals in the middle of the seating to support the upper deck. I think there are only four parks left that has those. I once paid good money ($2.75) to see a Kansas City Athletics game and unknowingly to me the seat was behind one of those I beams. I could see the pitcher and the outfield but could not see the batter or the umpire. The beam was so large I could not look around and see the batter. Luckily, all the new park double and triple park are cantilevered giving everyone a good view of the field.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Care to bet on the World Series?  I will bet anyone 3 Haiku's that the Rockies win tonight.

Diane Amberg

The Rockies will win
The Red Sox don't have the grit
Home advantage...not

Tobina+1

A friend of mine in Denver was able to get tickets for Game 4 (in Denver) on Sunday night.  She paid $90 per ticket on Monday morning.  She looked on the internet today, and tickets in that same seating section are being sold for $800 each.  She's considering selling them... and paying off their credit cards!  But then she said "once in a lifetime experience".

patyrn

Oops, the Rockies had a really rough night in Boston--let's hope their next venture out will be much more flamboyant!!!!!!!

Diane Amberg

Hey Wilma!  Were we wrong or what!? Maybe the Rockies can't play at lower altitudes! I was shocked!

Wilma

I'm just glad nobody bet me.  I don't know if I could come up with 3 Haiku's.  All bets are off for tonight.  have to study this situation.

Wilma

What to do? ??? How could the Rockies let me down like this?  :o :o  Maybe being home will make a difference.  I see that temperatures are to be in the 40's for the next 2 games. 8)

Wilma

Being home isn't making a difference so far.  Looks like I am wrong about who is going to win the series and I hate being wrong.

Jo McDonald

Maybe --- just maybe, they will get at least one game.  I am so disappointed !!!   Waaaaaaa
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk