Coffee for Thought...

Started by Tobina+1, October 04, 2007, 05:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

So, I had to take the pickup to Eureka today to get some stuff fixed on it (Odometer error!).  They wouldn't let me have a car to drive around, so they just took me up the road to the old McDonalds (and not like "old macdonald had a farm", smarties).

Not sure if any of you have been up to Eureka to see this place, but they have transformed the old gas station/McDonalds into a cafe and gift shop.  They serve breakfast and doughnuts and also have lunch.  The place was PACKED.  So, I found a booth and whipped out my laptop to try and get some work done (and to glance across the latest Forum posts).  NO INTERNET.  I would have stayed there all day if I could have hopped an internet connection (well, until the local old men started teasing me).

SO... funny that I was actually thinking about this yesterday for a neat idea in Howard or somewhere in Elk County.  Do you think a cute cafe that also was a gift shop and had free internet access and GREAT coffee would fly?  I know we have a doughnut shop and Toots in Howard, so we'd have to be careful of competition, but is that too many eateries for one small town?  Would a sandwich/cafe type store (open 6-11 am and 7-10 pm) actually serve enough coffee to survive? 

Just a hypothetical... and to get someone else's wheels turning.  (I have a job that keeps me busy enough!  But you could count on me to buy a LOT of coffee!)  And just for fun... think about this... Washington street next to the old 1st National bank building is wide enough that you could even have a DRIVE-THRU!

Janet Harrington

Well, you know that old dentist office aka donut shop is currently not open.  I don't know what the plans are for it.  I, myself, would not want to do this, but someone might.  The little old men and women would love another coffee place.  The reason I say that is because Toot's is about the only place to go, except for the senior center on Mondays.  The women have been coming in at 08:00 for their coffee and then the men come in at 10:00 and then again at 3:00.  Some women come in at 3:00, also.  From 3:00 to 6:00 p.m., (I think), Toot's has half price on drinks.  Anyway, what I'm saying, Tobina, is you have a great idea.  However; who would be interested in trying something like that?

Rudy Taylor

Any business will work as long as it is sufficiently planned, financed and promoted.  I'm sure of it.

If it's a dream of yours, Tobina, go for it!

Better yet, try it as a sideline.  It would take an awful lot of doughnuts and coffee to make minimum wage.

Nice to see your posts.  Welcome!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Janet Harrington

HA HA HA HA HA

On my last post on this subject, I had a typo and nobody, not even the editor, said a word.  I fixed it.

Tobina+1

Not really a dream of mine to OWN a place like that... just to FREQUENT one!  Ha!

I LOVE small-town main streets that have neat shops... that draw locals and out-of-towners alike.  Rudy's right; it takes a lot of finance to start and run them, though.  AND a lot of dedication from the community to help it survive.  But if I got anyone's wheels turning... let me know; I might enjoy helping get something like that started!

BTW, I thought one of the Cookson boys bought the donught shop and it was opened again?  Or am I way off-base here?  ???

Teresa

I saw the typo Miss Priss!
I was just kind enough to not say anything.

Now I will tell you something that you didn't know.. I went into one of your posts last week and fixed one of your "blunders".
(Made you look real smart I did!)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Janet Harrington

Ah, my Sister Ms. T.  Always looking out for me.  Thank you.  Thank you very much.  I wuv u!

Teresa

::) Good Heavens... I love you too.......................
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Rudy Taylor

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Roma Jean Turner

You know Tobina, your idea sounds so neat to me.  It sounds like something I would love to do, when this chapter of my life concludes.  I have no experience at it or any idea how it would happen, but I can see myself in a little place like that
just enjoying the people coming in and out.  It is just the kind of place I would hang out at all the time if lived in Howard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk