CLAD HAMILTON

Started by Jody, October 02, 2007, 11:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Who was Cllad HAMILTON?   Just read the two colum letter he wrote when Tom THOIMPSOn died.  Waldo, I imagine you can give me this information.

W. Gray

Clad Hamilton Thompson was born in Howard on October 30, 1888, to Thomas E and Maude Thompson.

He was the only child born to the couple that lived.

Clad made his own mark in Missouri journalism with a highly successful career at the Kansas City Star where he wrote the popular Starbeams column until his retirement in 1946.

Clad was called Pip because of his Dad's alter ego as Polk Daniels. Somehow, there is supposed to be a connection there.

He died in 1958.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jody

i AM NOT TALKING ABOUT tOM'S SON.  i AMTALKING ABOUT THE MAN HE WAS NAMED AFTER.  hE ENDED UP IN TOPEKA.  he first became friends with Tom inElk Falls.

W. Gray

I always wondered about the name Clad but I have never come across a Clad Hamilton in Elk Falls or anywhere else.

Perhaps the Howard Courant or one of the other newspapers published in Howard in 1888 at Clad Thompson's birth might explain who he was.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Finally.  Something that I have knowledge of.  I hope that I can write something up about Clad Hamilton as efficiently as Waldo does on other things.  These little writings all came from The Howard Courant in 1898.

In January, 1898, J. H. Hamilton, took over the duties as Elk County Sheriff.  Sheriff J. H. Hamilton installed his son, John C. Hamilton, as undersheriff.

Clad Hamilton of Topeka, son of Sheriff J. H. Hamilton, of this county, has Governor leedy's permission to raise a company of volunteers in the event of war with Spain.

May 20, 1989, Vol. XXVIII, No. 20

Clad Hamilton of Topeka, son of Sheriff J. H. Hamilton of Elk County, enlisted in the 20th Kansas this week and is already on his way to Manila.  Clad is a good boy and is well known and well lilked in Howard.  he was for over eight years a printer in this office, leaving the case for the study of law.  After taking a law course in this state University he went into Gleed, Ware, & Gleed's law office of Topeka, where he has been for the past five years.  That he will make a brave good soldier nobody doubts.

The Topeka correspondent in the K. C. Journal gives him the following:

About 4:30 o'clock Lieutenant Colonel Little received permission from the War Department to recruit the regiment to it's maximum limit.  As a result several recruits were picked up before the departure of the train.  Among others was Clad Hamilton, one of the many attaches of the law firm of Gleed, Ware & Gleed.  Hamilton has to have the fever from the start.  He was the first man in Kansas to organize a body of men to go to the front.  His was a Calvary troop and when the United States did not allot a regiment of Calvary for Kansas he was shut out. He now goes as a private and Captain Buchan's compnay.

The K. C. Star correspondent also mentions him as follows, into account of the soldiers departure form Topeka:

The train had gone half its length and was gaining speed when J. W. Gleed ran down the track, fairly bounding along with a huge bundle, two large blankets, in his arms.  He threw them on the back platform of the caboose.  "Give them to Clad Hamilton for me," he shouted to the brakeman.  Clad Hamilton is a young lawyer who has been in Gleed's office, then joined the regiment a few days ago.

July 17, 1898, Vol. XXVIII, No. 24

Clad Hamilton has been appointed first segeant in Co. B, 20 Infantry at San Francisco.  He has been acting as chief clerk headquarters.  The 20th expects to get off for Manila by the 23rd.

July 8, 1898, Vol. XXVIII, No. 27

Topeka Daily Journal, July 5:
       MADE A LIEUTENANT.
       Clad Hamilton is Promoted Along With Others.
       Clad Hamilton of Topeka West today appointed second lieutenant of Co. M, Twentieth Kansas volunteers, stationed at San Francisco.

Mr. hamilton has been acting as first segeant of Co. B and his promotion is only one of several cost by the resignation of Regimental Quartermaster Lafe C. Smith, and Clad Hamilton was promoted to the position made to vacant by the elevation of Lieutenant Agnew.

The Promotion of Mr. Hamilton will be appreciated by his friends in Topeka.  he was an attorney in the office of Gleed, WAre & Gleed and when war was declared raised it cavalry company; he failed to secure recognition and finally enlisted under Captain Fred Buchan as a private.  he is a young man of ability and will make an excellent officer.

The promotions were made upon the recommendation of Colonel Fuston, Lieutenant Colonel Little and both majors.

Eugene F. Ware and Capt. J. G. Waters since Lieutenant Hamilton the following telegram:

Topeka, July 5.
     Clad Hamilton, San Francisco.
                Commission goes today.  Straddle the next merrimac.
                                                       E. F. Ware.
                                                       J. G. Waters.

August 26, 1898, Vol. XXVIII, No. 34

PRAISE FOR CLAD HAMILTON
General King Writes of the Intelligence of a Young Kansas Soldier.
       Topeka, Aug. 20-in a letter to E. F. Ware, General Charles King has this to say of Clad Hamilton, the Topeka attorney who enlisted as a private in the 20th Kansas this afternoon is started for San Francisco, and in a few weeks have the lieutenants commission, and who is now the drill master of the Oregon recruits.  General King says: "I assure you that no words are needed to bring to favorable attention so zealous, efficient and deserving an officer as Lieutenant Clad Hamilton of the 20th Kansas.
        Starting at the bottom, he was the first man of his regiment to win a commission.  Within three short months from the date of his enlistment as a private, he is one of the most competent and conspicuous instructors in the big detachment of recruits attached to this brigade, and I have rarely met a young soldier of more brilliant promise, either of the regular service or the volunteers.
         You have good reason to be proud of Lieutenant Hamilton, and, you have seen the 20th Kansas as it passed in review yesterday before the division department commanders you would've been proud of the whole regiment.  I was and am, and hope to have them with me many a day."

March 24, 1899, Vo. XXIX, No. 12

Sheriff J. H. Hamilton last week received a photo of his son, Lieutenant Clad Hamilton of M Company, 20th Kansas volunterrs, now at Manila.  Clad looks brave and handsome, in his soldier clothes, and doesn't look a day older than he did when he used to set type in the Courant Office.  He has not acted as brigade quartermaster, and says he has an easy time of it.  We are anxious for his next letter, for he will probably tell of the fighting that the 20th has been having.

March 21, 1899, Vol. XXIX No. 13  (I know.  The dates are messed up.)

Lieut. Clad Hamilton was promoted to First Lieutenancy, at Manila, On February 15, 1899.

August 25, 2899, Vol. XXIX, No. 34

The dispatches announced last week that Clad Hamilton, 1st lieutenant in Co. M, 20th Ks. Volunteers, had been promosted to a captaincy.  Clad enlisted as a private when the train was pulling out of Topeka for San Francisco.  He buckled down to his work and at once laid the foundation for rapid promotion.  By a studious and honorable life he had gained influential friends and these friends helpled him.  he was soon one of the best drill masters in the regiment; he instructed the regimental band, for he was a finished musician.  When the new Oregan troops were sent to the camp in San Francisco, Clad was detailed to drill them.  So well did he perform every duty assigned to him that he won the admiration of the whole regiment and now in but little more than a year he has climbed from a private to a captain.

November 3, 1899, Vol. XXIX, No. 44

Sheriff J. H. Hamilton is in Topeka this week seeing the 20th Kansas roll in from the Phillipines.  He has a special interest in their arrival as he will welcome his oldest son, Capt. Clad hamilton, of Co. A., 20th Kansas Volunteers, who enlisted as a private and now comes home as a captain.

December 1, 1899, Vol. XXIX, No. 48

Capt. Clad Hamilton, late commander of Co. A., 20th Kansas Vols., arrived in Howard last Saturday night for a visit with his parents, and brothers in the family of Sheriff J. H. Hamilton.  Clad has many friends in this city, as this was his home for seven or eight years, and all are happy to see him and to know that he made an honorable record in the Phillippines under Funston and that he received merited promotions in rapid order.

January 5, 1900, Vol. XXX, No. 1

Clad hamilton has opened an office in Topeka and will practice law on his own account.  Clad is well equipped for general practice.  He is a graduate of the law school of the state University at Lawrence, and had five years' practice in the law firm of Gleed, Ware & Gleed.  he has been capable and faithful, and has made many friends, and his year and a half "vacation" in the Phillippines from which he came home a captain will not hurt him a bit.  His Howard friends wish him abundant success.  His address will be Central National Bank Building, Topeka, Kansas.

January 18, 1901, Vol. XXXI, No. 3

Capt Clad Hamilton of Topeka, was married yesterday, the 17th, to Miss Helen Wells, at Lansing, Mich.  They will make their home at Topeka, Ks., where the Captain is prospering in his law practice.  He is also county auditor for Shawnee county.

July 19, 1901, Vol. XXXI, No. 29

CAPT. CLAD'S PROMOTION.
Clad Hamilton Receives the Appointment of Assistant Attorney General.
     Topeka Daily Capital, July 14:
     Attorney General A. A. Godard yesterday appointed Clad Hamilton as special assistant Attorney General to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of B. H. Tracy, who will succeed I. E. Lambert as United States district attorney.  Mr. Hamilton will at once resign his presnet position as county auditor and will assume his new duties Monday.
    The appointment of Mr. Hamilton was considerable of a surprise.  His name had not been connected with the place by politicians.  Although Mr. Godard was very closed mouthed regarding the matter, and impression got out that ARchie Williams might be appointed.  The position of special assistant Attorney General carries with it a salary of 1800 dollars a year.
    Clad hamilton is a Topeka boy.  At the time of the out break of the Spanish-American war he was practicing law.  He enlisted in the 20th Kansas as a private in M. Company.  Inside of two weeks he was made first segeant and afterwards other promotions rapidly followed.  He returned from the Phillippines as a captain of A. Co.  After the 10th was mustered out, Mr. Hamilton reasoned the practice of law this city.  About a year ago he was appointed county auditor by a Judge Hazen.

January 24, 1902, Vol. XXXII, No. 4

Capt. Clad Hamilton is being mentioned in the Topeka papers as a possible candidate for the Republican nominee for county attorney of Shawnee county.

March 20, 1903, Vol. XXXIII, No. 12

Captain Clad Hamilton has set April 1 as the date on which he will retire from the state's legal department.  Attorney general Coleman asked Captain Hamilton to remain for a time at least when he took charge of the office, although Captain Hamilton had stated that he intended to give all his time to his private law busines.  How that the legislature is over he will retire from the office.  It is not yet known who his successor will be.  The place Captain Hamilton has been occupying is known as special assistant attorney general.  The house this year tried to do away with it by leaving it out of the executive and judicial appropriation bill, but the senate had its way, but the salary is cut from $1,800 a year to $1,600.  The state has never had a more conscientious and faithful official than Clad Hamilton.  He is not the kind who believes that a public office is a private snap, but he works as hard or harder for the state than he would in his private business.

June 5, 1903, Vol. XXXIII, No. 23

Capt. Clad Hamilton of Topeka, who delivered the Memorial Day address at Moline, last Saturday, was prevented by high water from returning home.  He came up to Howard Tuesday and visited old time friends, returning to Moline in the evening.  Capt. hamilton is now police judge of Topeka and is kept quite busy passing on to complaints and the defenses of a large municiple business.

July 22, 1904, Vol. XXXIV, No. 30

Police Judge Clad Hamilton of Topeka, is getting his name in all the papers again.  He recently requested the Topeka police to arrest any men or boys they could hear or hear of using profane or vulgar language on the streets.  He announces that he will be pleased to assess heavy fines against such offenders.

January 19, 1906, Vol. XXXVI, No. 3

Clay Hamilton, attorney, came down from Topeka, Tuesday evening, to attend to a case in District Court for his brother, Capt. Clad Hamilton.  He will visit his parents at Elk Falls for a few days.  He tells us that Capt. Clad has been quite ill for the past two months, but is now believed to be on the road to recovery.  He was operated on for appendicitis, some time ago, recovered and was apparently doing well, when he was taken seriously ill, and has been laid for two months.

(That's all the research that I have on hand.  I hope that this answers the question of who Clad Hamilton was.  I didn't write it in story form.  I just typed what I had from the newspaper accounts.)

W. Gray

Talk about good timing.

If anyone else comes across the Clad Hamilton name, please let us know.

Jody

Look under the PotoPOURRI _Oct 10, 1935.   I woud type it up BUT I don't type and it would never  get finished ( TTHAT IS BEFORE i HAD A BREKDOWN)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk