K-11

Started by W. Gray, January 23, 2006, 09:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Does anyone know when K-11 changed to K-99?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Hmmmmmmmm

I can't say that I ever remember that it was K11.
But I bet you get an answer... if not.. we sure will find out! ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

There is a short reference to K-11 in the Elk County history book. I have searched KDOT and cannot find.

I have heard that K-99/K-11 was not paved until after WWII being gravel up until that time. On the one hand that does not seem correct, on the other, the state highway program did not begin until 1917 and it probably would have been impossible to pave all the state roads in such a short time, particuarly with the depression and WWII. I saw a web site once that stated K-99 is 231 miles long.

I have an uncle who is a Howard City councilman and we both have been trying to find out about K-11.

W. Gray
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

mtcookson

I found something that stated K-11 when from the Oklahoma state line south of Chautauqua to the Nebraska state line (Junction N-65) north of Summerfield.

It says it was changed to K-99 in 1941 to promote route continuality with OK-99.

W. Gray

All Right!

Can yolu tell me where you found the information?

W. Gray

Scratch that request. I found the site at http://www.route56.com/highways/highways.cgi?hwy1=11&hist=1                  Thanks again.

In looking over the site, K-99 highway covers 233 miles, while O-99 covers 240 and N-99 covers only 13.

Janet Harrington

Well, how cool is that.  I had heard of K-11 but didn't know it changed to K-99.  What a topic.

mtcookson

Quote from: W. Gray on February 03, 2006, 03:09:08 PM
Scratch that request. I found the site at http://www.route56.com/highways/highways.cgi?hwy1=11&hist=1                  Thanks again.

In looking over the site, K-99 highway covers 233 miles, while O-99 covers 240 and N-99 covers only 13.

Yeah, that's the place I found it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk