Interesting Elk County Residents Deserving Recognition

Started by Marcia Moore, August 26, 2007, 09:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

I would like to see some posts on interesting and deserving Elk County residents (past or present) that are to be admired and whose lives would make good human interest stories either for the newspaper or for Larry Hatteberg.  For example, in the past Rose Nix Leo has been discussed on this forum, has been in the newspapers many times and was on Larry Hatteberg.  At present, I have two people to suggest.  If anyone can expand on these people, and/or have other people to suggest, please do so.  I would like to see this topic continue on and on and on...
     MARGARET GRAGG -- She has done much for the community, i.e. contributions to the museum, past Howard mayor, big in many local organizations, longtime country school teacher, etc.  (Is she 91 years old now?)   
     IRENE BUFFALOW -- Now there is one hardworking, energetic lady that has always had a big smile on her face and a large wave for everyone.  She has always reminded me of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies, because she is so energetic - always busy, busy, busy.  Tim says on the mail route he sees her mowing her large lawn, even all around her big pond.  She makes the best cinnamon apple jelly ever.  I have always admired her.  She always shows respect for the deceased by attending their funerals, which is something many people nowadays don't even bother to take the time to do.  (Is she 90 yet?) Myrna, please tell us more about your mother.
     WALDO GRAY - Waldo, how about a story on your uncle?
     Frank Winn, how about a story on your parents, their businesses, their large family, etc., etc.
     Come on everyone.  Let's make this interesting! 

frawin

Marcia, no, Mother isn't 90 yet!  She was 89 on June 22 this year.  I appreciate the nice things you said about her.  Yes, she has worked hard all of her life.

Myrna

W. Gray

I think someone who really knew him could write some interesting tales on Waldo Gray, the barber.

The only time I ever spent any amount of time with him was when he told me about the flying saucers and that was only one evening.

I did not live around him and my knowledge is limited to him as an uncle who I saw perhaps two or three days a year--and even then usually only on visits to the barber shop.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jody

How about Hazel Moore.  I also think MARGERET gregg woul be a good choice.   

Marcia Moore

Hazel Moore is an excellent choice.  I know she was an old country school teacher and is nearing 100 years of age, was raised in the Western Park area, and her house in Howard is pretty much all original inside.  I have heard someone stays with her now - who is that person?  Hazel is certainly a nice lady.  I don't think she ever married. 

Jody

George Cox was one of the great town charcters of my childhood. 

YOU COULD ALWAYS TELL WHEN  HE HAD BEEN IN THE POST OFFICE AHEAD OOF YOU [PIPE TOBACCO AND COLONGE]hE WAS A FRIEND OF MY mOTHERS SO i ALWAYS GOT LOTS OF ATTENTION FROM HIMwHEN MY mOM HAD OLD hOWARD FRIENDS COME TO VISIT,SHE HAD gEORGE SHOW THEM AROUND.

Teresa

Danny Cookson would be a good one to be able to tell some stories on his grandpa Waldo.
He fished and hunted with him a a lot.
But understand that Waldo was a bit of a cusser.. so to tell a story without s.o.b or a few other choice words might lose the character of the story.. LOL

But I'm sure he could make them presentable..
I will ask him if he will do that.  :)
((notice I said "ask" and not nag .. ? Aren't I a good mother? LOL )))
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

I'm sure you are correct but I never heard him cuss.

Until, a week before he decided he could not make it to the barber shop. We were in the shop and no one else was there. It seemed as though people stopped coming in on a regular basis when it was determined he was rather bad off. He was trying to fix a clipper. He was apparently in a lot of pain, not having any luck with the fix, and began cussing a long blue streak.

The wife had never heard him swear and from time to time she still mentions that episode in the barber shop.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

I'm not sure and MOM70X7 can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Hazel Moore just turned 90.  She came to church with the two women that lived with her and are pretty much considered her daughters.  Anyway, someone get in here and tell us how old Hazel Moore is.  I would love to see something on Margaret Gragg.  She is still teaching Sunday School to us.  She has five women in her class and boy do we have a grand time.

patyrn

Hazel Moore turned 98 last week.  Her two nieces (Joyce and Carolyn Houser), whom she raised, were here to help her celebrate.  They live in Washington State and California.  They have hired a lady to live-in at Hazel's home to help her out. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk