Need Identification

Started by Janet Harrington, August 24, 2007, 08:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Okay.  Here is a picture of a partridge pea.  If you are sure that is what it is, then I'll quit trying to prove you wrong.

Wilma

That is the blossom except mine were a little paler and the leaves are the same.  I think my leaves might be larger but there was plenty of water for awhile.

frawin

Wilma, it certainly is not Mesquite.
Frank

Jo McDonald

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Bonnie M.

Janet, I tried to send the pictures to Robert Thurston, one of the Horticulturist at the Wild Animal Park, to see if he could identify the plant.  Here is what he wrote:

For some reason, the pictures did not come through. The text of what they are is written on the bottom of the page but no attachments received. Try again as I would love to see them.

So, if you could e-mail the pictures to "rthurston@sandiegozoo.org" I'm sure he will try to identify the plant. 

Have a good day!
Bonnie

Diane Amberg

Now I've got a stranger too. Last May I bought a couple of little cacti and planted them with some potting soil in an old trug. A little something extra started to come up that I too, thought was a little Mimosa. It's now a little tree with tiny sweet pea shaped blossoms at the top. The little flowers are dark red on the out side and yellow inside. Now its throwing out long skinny round "beans,'' green, from the stem and not associated with the flowers. They must be some kind of wild pea, but the flowers don't look at all like wild partridge peas that we see along field edges sometimes. This one has the little segmented leaflets on 8 inch leaf stems that fold up at night. Any ideas?

Wilma

Diane, I don't what the plant is, neither do I know what a trug is.  Is it some sort of container or a misspelling?  Please don't tell me it is a misspelling.  A trug sounds interesting.

Diane Amberg

Anybody from Britain will know what a trug is. It's a longish garden basket, maybe 4 inches deep, made of split wood slats, long, not woven, with a curved slat handle overtop the short side and long wooden "feet" that go across the bottom. It's usually held together with brass or copper nails. Sometimes it's called a Sussex trug. I have several. They are great for picking veggies. One cheap one has gotten old and grungy so I used it as a planter.

Wilma

Thank you, Diane.  I have seen those and thought they were just another form of basket.  Now I am educated.

Diane Amberg

You are right, they are just another form of basket. They had origionally been used as measuring devices for wheat, oats etc. The really nice ones are made of chestnut and willow and are very tough and long lasting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk