Need Identification

Started by Janet Harrington, August 24, 2007, 08:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

That is good to know about the thorns.  This tree? might not be more than a few years old.  Cutting it off several times would account for the branchiness.  I won't cut it again.

Janet Harrington

Okay.  We have identified the tree.  According to my Aunt June, Mother's sister, this is a partridge pea.  Uncle Bill, Mother's brother-in-law, this partridge pea is a weed.

Here is the one from Aunt June's yard which looks like Mother's.  I say, if it is a weed, cut it out of there.  ha ha

Janet Harrington

Now, we have a real problem.  I Googled partridge pea and I don't think this looks anything like a partridge pea.  Someone else jump in here.

Janet Harrington

Here is a link for a partridge pea plant.  I don't think my Aunt June is right, Mother.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CHFA2

Janet Harrington

I am not really convinced that it is a mesquite tree either.

Wilma

Try searching forbs for partridge pea.  It gives a better picture which I think is a drawing or painting rather than a photograph.

Wilma

According to forbs, the mesquite blossom and seed pods are nothing like this plant.  The blossoms were right for partridge pea and the seed pods are right.  The leaves on mine and on June's are also the same.  Her plant and my plant are sturdier than the plants I remember seeing before, but the difference could be that what I saw before was in a field and these plants are in tended gardens.  Her garden is tended anyway.

Janet Harrington

The partridge pea has yellow flowers when it blooms and I don't think your bush/tree had yellow blossoms.

Wilma

Yes, the blossoms were yellow.  This is the first time I have seen it bloom.  The blossoms were all at the top of the stem the way the pods are.  They weren't a bright yellow but a more lemony yellow.  Isn't there anybody else out there that has seen this plant?

frawin

Wilma, maybe you can smoke the leaves and see if it has any bang to it.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk