Howard on eBay

Started by Joanna, August 20, 2007, 06:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Yes, I can see it.  And it is setting catty-corner to the intersection just as the old station sets.  That is the only thing that looks familiar.  The roofs in the foreground are similar to the buildings that were there.

Marcia Moore

The postcard is definately of Howard.  I have other photos that confirm it.

flo

I seen what appeared to be the service station right off the bat, but figured you all knew more about Howard's early days than I did.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

frawin

Well Joanna, MOM 70X7, Marcia and Mrs Gragg (I knew better than to disagree with my favorite 2nd grade teacher), I guess I owe you an apology if that is Howard. The Garage would later been Ray Elledge Ford, I think it moved into that building from where Cliff Hitchcocks Western Auto was in later Years, at least that is what my notes show me from what Earl Garison told me about when he worked for Ray Elledge Ford in his years prior to starting the Allis Chalmers and later the Allis Chalmers and Dodge Plymouth dealership, after the Ford dealership moved down where the First National bank is now  the Zellney or Zellner brothers (I should remenber that name better as Frank was my Scout Leader and he married the girl that lived across the street from my folks) had an M&M farm implement dealership in it. . The service station roof you referred to would have been Wucherpfenig's Soverign Service later Millard Cox's Apco. The Station or building across the street due West must have a big facelift after this picture was taken as it was the Sinclair Service Station, Carl Lauffer ran it in later years and Dr. Markeley had his vet clinic in it in the late 50's and 60's, there was a covered double drive with gas pumps on it in the 40s.
It is still hard to see that as Howard in 1930, it really changed in the next 20 years.
If I had known this was Howard I would have bid on that picture.
Frank Winn

Joanna

Frank, I don't care if you do or don't bid, but the auction is still going for 6 more days.  Maybe someone on the forum has something similar they could share with you though.

frawin

Joanna thank you, I will check out e-bay, I thought it had sold, THANKS AGAIN, I always like to add a picture of Howard to my collection.
FRANK

Jo McDonald

In 1948 the building on the corner that now houses the Senior Center was the offices of PCA bank and south of that was the M & M dealership that Tony Zellney owned, Frank was Tony's brother and I worked for Tony as his bookkeeper in 1948/49.  Frank married Edith Stephens and they still live in Annapolis, Missouri.  Edith is Bill Redmond's cousin and Bill and I were talking about Frank and Edith just last week.  This picture does not look like Howard to me, but years ago, Ann Sloan gave me pictures of Howard and I gave them to the Benson Museum.  As I have not been to the museum for quite some time, that would no doubt be the best "proof" of this picture. Also, the hills in the background do not look like Howard to me.  Well, I just had to put in my 2 cents worth.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Jo, Frank and Gene Stephens were my boy scout leaders and they were great.
Frank

Teresa

I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye.. so I have no way of even saying..
but if Marcia has other pictures that confirm it and Margret Gragg says it is so....thennnnnnnnnnnn..
I am standing on the yes side..  ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

patyrn

I believe that this photo is of the corner of Wabash and Washington in Howard.  My family lived one block west of the intersection starting in the early 1940s, and there was a blacksmith shop between our house and the alley (where the curved roof building is shown) when I was young (50s and 60s).  Mr. Sievers ran it.  The white building across the alley was used for city storage, and the building on the corner was a gas station at that time.  Carl Lauffer ran it at one time.  Then John Markley had his veterinarian business there.  My dad bought the blacksmith property and had the building torn down.  Remnants of the foundation are still there.  Mr. Sievers moved his blacksmith shop across the alley to the white building where Jerry Harrod eventually started his business. It  was cleared out when the Cox Building was constructed. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk