SLOAN, Barbara Anne (Ehrman) - b. September 9, 1910 - d. August 9, 2007

Started by Ole Granny, August 11, 2007, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Granny

From Wichita Eagle Saturday, August 11, 2007

HOWARD - Sloan, Anne , 96 , died Aug. 9,2007. Service 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, United Methodist Church, Howard.  No formal visitation.  Buriel will be at Grace Lawn Cemetery.  Memorials: United Methodist Church in c/o Countryside Funeral Home, P.O. Box 247, Fredonia, KS 66736.  Zimmerman Funeral Home, Howard,  KS 620-374-2381.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

emptynest

There are probably several on this forum that would remember Mrs. Anne Sloan as a retired elementary teacher.  She was my 4th grade teacher and I have fond but faint memeories of her.  I do remember that she praised me when I didn't cry or complain (or get sick) after a classmate threw up all over my math book.  Funny the things one remembers.....Rest in Peace, Mrs. Sloan

flo

when the unified school district was formed, Mrs. Sloan came to Severy Elementary to teach fifth grade.  I remember her as a very sweet and gentle woman and very proper. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Janet Harrington

(Taken from the Flint Hills Express, Aug. 15, 2007, page 3)

Barbara Anne (Ehrman) Sloan passed away on Thursday, Aug. 9, 2007, one month prior to her 97th birthday.

Anne was born Sept. 9, 1910 to Fred and Anna Barbara Ehrman in El Paso, Texas.  The Ehrman family moved to Kansas when Anne was 7 years old.  She went to live with Judge and Mrs. A.T. Ayres of Howard at age 9, and considered them as family.  She attended Howard schools, graduating in the class of 1929.  She attended Kansas State University in 1930, and taught at rural schools around Howard, Kansas for 4 years.

In 1934 she married Robert Bascom Sloan and to this union two children were born, Charlotte Elizabeth on Feb. 16, 1935 and Robert Curtis on Dec. 11, 1941.

In 1949 Bob and Anne designed and built a home on their farm just north of Howard.  They continued farming and ranching for the next 30 years.  Anne attended summer college in 1955 to renew her Teaching Certificate.  She taught in Howard, Moline and Severy schools over the next 20 years, until her retirement in 1975.

In her retirement years, Anne enjoyed traveling with daughter-in-law Sharon Miller Sloan and Sharon's mother Mary Miller.  Anne also kept busy visiting family, and enjoyed the creative arts of quilting, needlework, and oil painting.

Anne was preceded in death by her parents, her husband Robert Bascom Sloan, her daughter, Charlotte Elizabeth Roberts, and her son Robert Curtis Sloan.  She is survived by her daughter-in-law Sharon Miller Sloan of Andover; her son-in-law W. D. Roberts of Severy; grandson Joseph Bascom Roberts of Kenai, Alaska; granddaughter Martha Roberts Lancaster and great-grandson Brian Thomas Lancaster both of Georgetown, Texas.

Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2007 at the Howard United Methodist Church with Pastor Charles Cryderman offciating.  Interment will be at Grace Lawn Cemetery in Howard.

Contributions are suggested to the Howard United Methodist Church and may be left in care of Countryside Funeral Home, P.O. Box 237, Fredonia, Ks 66736, www.countrysidefh.com

Arrangements are under the direction of Zimmerman Funeral Home, Howard.

(Taken from the Independence Daily Reporter August 14, 2007 page 2)

Barbara Anne Sloan, 96, of Howard, died Thursday.

Funeral service will be at at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Howard United Methodist church with Pastor Charles Cryderman officiating.  Interment will be at Grace Lawn Cemetery in Howard.

Memorials are suggested to Howard United Methodist Church and donations may be left with Countryside Funeral Home in Fredonia.  Zimmerman Funeral Home of Howard is handling the arrangements.

Mrs. Sloan was born Sept. 9, 1910 in El Paso, Texas, the daughter of Fred and Anna Barbara Ehrman.  The family moved to Kansas when she was 7 years old.  She went to live with the Judge and Mrs. A.T. Ayres of Howard at age 9, and she graduated from Howard High School in 1929.  She then attended Kansas State University and taught at rural school around Howard for four years.

She married Robert Bascom Sloan in 1934 and the couple had two children.  Mr. Sloan preceded her in death.

The couple farmed and ranched near Howard for 30 years.  Mrs. Sloan returned to teaching in 1955 and taught in Howard, Moline and Severy until retiring in 1975.

Mrs. Sloan is survived by two grandchildren and a great-grandson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk